Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's My Birthday! - November 8, 2011

It's raining outside, and my homework awaits my continued attention. The house is quiet and dark. The only sound is of an occasional car and raindrops hitting the house. Oh, and the refrigerator buzzing away behind me. This is my kind of day.

This year's focus is simply to choose to be happy and focus on those people, creatures, and things that bring me joy. I'll try to do a better job of staying in touch with the friends who make an effort to stay in touch with me. I'll accept what life has to offer and continually look to the future and how I can improve it. I will exercise self-discipline in more areas of my life. I will have a good year.

I am having a good birthday. It officially started on Sunday and is continuing very nicely.

On Sunday, I was first in line to buy a new, 32" TV for under $200. I got one! It is our first flat-screen TV. We're still working off of an antenna and Netflix, but now we can get rid of some of the huge TVs that are taking up space.

From the store, I went back home to do a bit of cleaning before going to the church for my childcare job. I was able to calm two crying babies and make their parents feel good about our childcare services. I was also able to give an ear to my co-worker who is recovering from pneumonia.

After church I came home to GL and the grandgirls. They were absolutely fantastic. Big Girl was so happy for me. She makes me so happy simply because she loves me so much. GL told me that Little One went looking for me (I was at work when they arrived) and calling, "MeeMa, where are you?" Little One has been more reserved than Big Girl. She'd only said, "MeeMa," twice before Sunday. When I walked in the door on Sunday, Little One greeted me with a loud and cheery, "Hi MeeMa!" This was followed by, "Up. Up. Up, up, up, up," with her arms stretched up to me. Really. Could I ask for a better birthday present? Maybe, but maybe not. The grandgirls did give me presents; two pair of goofy, fuzzy socks and a Santa that moves his feet when he sings, "Here comes Santa Claus." What perfect presents from my grandgirls. Big Girl has noticed that I have Santas up in the house year round, and I know she decided to add her own to my collection. She also broke in one pair of socks and insisted that I put on the other pair. We blew out birthday candles four times because Little One just wanted to do it again and again. There was no cake, but none of us need cake. It was a lovely day.

Later on, GL gave me her present. I was blown away. She picked out a fun, "hippy" bag for me. I'm using it already. She also presented me with a beautiful, green, ring box with a shiny, gold clasp. Inside the box was my baby bracelet! I didn't even know that it still existed. There is was, "Girl ..... 11/8/59." Well, of course, I'm verklempt. How cool. How many people my age have their baby bracelet? It's pink with little flower pegs that hold it shut; old-fashioned and sturdy, just like me, huh.

GL told me that BB thought I needed underwear, so he was actually thinking of buying me some. Ewwww! Good intentions, but, "No." I know his heart is in the right place. I had to call him, tease him, and let him know that what I need is for the laundry to be folded and taken upstairs; there's plenty of "undergarments" in the laundry. Goodness. LOL

When I got home on Sunday, I started in on my homework. I didn't last long. I fell asleep on the love seat, and BB woke me up. I was pretty grouchy and grateful.

Monday morning started with a Birthday Breakfast at a good friend's home. She made me a great breakfast served on fine china. Because these friends have played such an important part in my life this past 18 months, I took them birthday treats of my own. There were symbolic treats; two skeleton keys with a heart-shaped handle and a handle that reminded me of binoculars. Of course, they had presents for me; a beautiful candle purchased from a store that helps Third-World countries, some of those puffy things for the shower, and two cards with surprises inside. After breakfast and presents, we all did a dance to "ABC" by the Jackson 5. Can't tell you how great it was to start the day with good food, good friends and dancing. Their friendship is the best present of all.

I left my friends' home and headed to get some cream. I found a very, very light purple rose at the store. It was the closest thing to a blue rose that I've ever seen, so I bought it for SA. Like her, it was unique, beautiful and appreciated. I took it to her house as a surprise, and we had a little chat before I left to go to the beach. Birthday surprises are the best.

The sky and water at the beach was a soft, fuzzy, light blue. I sat there and thought about Big Girl because her favorite color is light blue. Of course, I thought of all the people around Big Girl, too. I focused on being happy and being a good role model for every one's benefit. I focused on letting go of my anger and hurt; becoming more like my saintly grandma. It was awesome.

When I got home, I started in on the homework again. This is where I stop because my homework needs to be done. It is not as warm and fuzzy as this post, but it is important. I'm learning a whole new way of thinking and communicating thanks to my decision to major in Paralegal Studies. It's good to have a ton of trick in my ("hippy") bag, huh.

My birthday wish for everyone is simple; health and happiness to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment