Monday, April 12, 2010

New Day - New Way

"Thank you, Great Spirit, for your guidance, lessons, and continuing protection and insight."

New goal:  Write this in 1/2 hour.







Thank You to Homer Hickam,  http://www.homerhickam.com/ , and Randy Tatano, http://tvnewsgrapevine.blogspot.com/ .  Links are for you to start your own journey of discovery should you so choose.  Far be it for me to force you to be happy.  (I said we were moving away from that, didn't I.  Oh well)

I also have to offer thanks to Bill Allan, who told me to do this those many years ago, and deserves to be named.  Aren't you the lucky one, Bill.  I hear you!  :D

While I'm at it, "Thank You, Paul", yet again for getting me divorced and helping my family for all the years that you have.  You're keen.  I mean that in the Websters way.

and yes, there will be more thanks coming ....

OK, clock is ticking -

Going forward is about taking the good stuff with you.  Here's one for the masses.

I am fortunate enough to have been Glenn Corbin's granddaughter.  He married my widowed Grandma when I was two.

When I was a wee one, I happened down stairs in the wee hours to wee.  When I rounded the corner to the bathroom, I saw my grandpa getting out of bed.  He rolled out of his bed, landed on his knees, clasped his hands in prayer, and bowed his head.  I stood mesmerized in the hallway until nature yelled.

When I was all done, including washing my hands, I went back to see what Grandpa was doing now.  I was very quiet because Grandma was still sleeping.  Grandpa was sitting on his bed.

"Why did you do that, Grandpa?"  I asked.

"Do what?" he replied rubbing his eyes and scratching his back.

"Why'd you land on your knees like that?"

"Oh that.  I do that every day.  That's how I get out of bed.  I thank God for the day; and then, I get up and walk in it"

"Oh.  Doesn't it hurt?"

"A bit, honey, but it's what I do.  I just think it's the right way to start my day.  It makes me happy.  OK, I've got to get ready.  Do you want to come with me?"

"Sure."

"Well, go get ready and get down here.  We're leaving pretty quick."

With that we got ready, met up downstairs, went out to the truck, and started our day together off to his first plumbing job.  After a job or two, my grandpa would meet up with his fellow working men and have a bit of coffee.  I listened to them gossip about Mrs. So-And-So, argue politics, call each other "fools", laugh, and say their good-byes.

Grandpa and I would head home where Grandma would be up and looking as pretty as ever.

"Well there's my girl," Grandpa would always say with a smile.

"Oh, Glenn," Grandma would always reply while looking down and blushing.

To my Grandparents Corbin who taught me love and happiness.  Since all y'all weren't as lucky as me, specifically speaking; and because I've told this story a million billion times - here it is in writing.  Modern writing, if you will, with my own kinda grammar-tization, misspellin's, and rhythm. 

One minute to go.  I haven't hit my knees yet today.  Sorry Grandpa. 

The fact that you died when you had knee surgery because you had fibrosis of the lungs from all those years plumbing - and a few mistakes by you, the medical staff, and our family - well, sir - I'm sorry I'm still smoking, too.  But Sir.  You sure did teach me tons of good stuff.  Mostly, you taught me love.  I was your willing captive over all those country hills around Mapleton, IA.  That unique part of America.  You talked my ear off, worked your words into my heart,  and filled me with your laughter.  You were the best Grandpa Chair I could ever ask for.  Everything about you was something else.  I'm so glad God put us in each others' lives.

Time's up.  Blew it by 3 minutes.  That's what happens when I think 'bout Grandpa.

Here's to going forward taking the good, leaving the bad, and learning from it all.  Happy Day, All Y'All!  I may not be Southern, but sure 'nough like talkin' like I do with my bits-o-Iowa, Southern, Irish, Norwegian, Wisco, LA, ILLINOISE and more - CHIcago ....

OUT - THANK GOD!  :D 10:37am - 7 celestial minutes over deadline.  Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Mapleton. What a perfect, nostalgic name for a midwestern small town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i get pretty nostalgic about mapleton. it was a great place to visit. i'm sure it will crop up more as i continue to write. thanks, rebecca.

    ReplyDelete