Thursday, September 23, 2010

Found a Stress Reliever!

Well, I had every intention of writing my blog last night, but I fell asleep before "Perry Mason" was over. I've got all these goofy channels because I don't have cable, and I've taken a liking to "Perry Mason" every night at 10:30. Raymond Burr was HOT. The shows aren't bad either. I'm enjoying this phase immensely.

In any case, most of my day was very stressful because the computer messed up my Unemployment check. I spent a good two hours getting it all cleared up. I did get it cleared up, though; so a check will be sent in two business days.

Thank goodness I didn't check my bank balance until after I'd finished editing my "Oprah" story proposal. I did it for my sister because I have no desire to be on television, but our story has a bit of heart and inspiration in it, so what the heck. It was a good writing exercise that I used for Scriptwriting, too.

My Scriptwriting class made me want to cry in a good way. While I completely blew the proposal format, the feedback that I got about my story premise was good. The group I spoke to told me, "You have to write this!" My instructor's notes said that it was a good premise and gave solid, constructive suggestions about improving my proposal.

I had a chance to speak with my instructor during our break. She told me that she knew which one was mine; and that, she thought it was a good premise. I thanked her and told her that I'd found my sister.

"It's a true story?!" my instructor responded.

"Yeah. Mine."

My instructor teared up a bit, but it could have been her back because I've the pain on her face because of it. She was surprised, though. We talked some more about our lives and writing and then went inside for some movie viewing.

We watched the first ten minutes of "American Beauty" and "Harold and Maude." It was great to see two very different openings to movies back-to-back. My instructor is a very good instructor. I'm so happy that I'm lucky enough to be in this class.

I felt particularly good while watching "Harold and Maude" because I saw Ellen Geer's name in the credits. She played Sunshine Dore (add an accent over the "e" in Dore). Not only was I watching one of my favorite movies and thoroughly enjoying it, but I was transported back to The Theatricum Botanicum in Topanga, California. I lived in Topanga for a few years. I loved it there. I spent a good deal of time at the Theatricum because our Pre-School Fundraiser was held there each year and because it was just a lovely place to go and breathe.

I haven't been to the Theatricum Botanicum since 1988 so I remember it as a rustic, outdoor theatre with railroad ties for seats going up a hillside, a wooden stage built over a creek, and cement stairs going up to the house from behind the stage that had Woody Guthrie's autograph written in them. There was also a garden with a bust of Will Geer up by the house the last time I was there. It was a magical place that I used to "run away" to in secret and "just be." I could breathe there. Writing about it now, I am again transported to a place of joy and safety. Guess I have another coping mechanism - when stressed just think of the Theatricum Botanicum. Now I never would have figured that out if I wasn't in school. Ah, the added benefits of education.

OK, I'm off for another busy day. Will try to write more today to get caught up on my posts.

Many blessings to you and yours. Hang in there. I'm sending lots of good thoughts your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment