Friday, June 25, 2010

My e-mail to Senators Durbin & Burris

I sent the following e-mails to my Senators. No sense in sending one to Representative Kirk. It only annoys me when I get a form letter back stating why he is against what I am for. I also sent an e-mail to President Obama and his staff with my blog address because my 7,165 character letter was too big for the form. Please note that in this writing I have not changed any proper names. This is what it is.


Dear Senator Durbin (and Senator Burris):

I'm writing to urge you to continue to fight for the Unemployment Extension Bill. Would my long, sad job-seeking history aid you in your efforts? I'm certain that there are those who are suffering more than I am, so I'm not just writing this on my own behalf, but on the behalf of everyone who faces a very uncertain future. There are so many.

I've been unemployed since January 21, 2009. I have had a total of eight interviews since I became unemployed. I have been informed that I will receive up to four days of work on the Ron Howard film that is shooting in the Chicago area. I'm waiting to receive instructions for a night shoot tonight. I am nervous beyond belief. I'm trying everything I know of and not succeeding.

I have not applied for Food Stamps or gone to any pantries, but will be as soon as I am cut off. I have considered myself one of the lucky ones since I receive Unemployment Benefits. I've been conscientious about the strains put on charitable organizations and other Government Agencies, so I've been using my Unemployment Benefits for all our needs.

I have a garage sale planned for the middle of July. The plan is to sell approximately 75% of my belongings, and more if needed.

I cut the Cable long ago, and have been about as responsible as I can be regarding luxuries. Should my Unemployment Benefits be discontinued, I will still have a bit of money that can get us through for about a month, maybe. After that, if I don't have a job; I don't know what I'll do. I'll be figuring that out today while I wait for an e-mail telling me whether or not I have one day's work at minimum wage.

I used to have a title and work in Winnetka at the Public Access studio. I got laid off.

My children became very sick at that time. I was lucky to have 18 months of medical insurance as part of my severance package. I took the time I felt that I needed to care for my children. I am a single parent, and have been for over 20 years. My children are my life.

Eventually, I got a job at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare (now named something else). I was fired for missing days due to injuries sustained during a rape. I accepted a severance package from them, and signed the paperwork that I'd never speak of it and couldn't ever work there again. I was mentally fragile at the time and made a mistake as a result. Should've called The Press. I did contact Senator Obama's office, and they sent me forms to fill out. I did, but had no luck. One day I saw Senator Garrett in Highwood, so I asked her what I should do. She basically said to take the money and run. The VESSA lawyer also told me to do so. I did. I'm sorry that I did because here I sit with a ton of bad feelings and no job.

I did get employment after that with Integramed America/Fertility Centers of Illinois, but after almost two years of service; I was fired when I broke down one day due to continued workplace abuse and bigotry. Five times I called the Dept. of Human Services and was told that they would send forms to me, so I could file a complaint. The forms never showed up, and I gave up; another mistake - Should've gone to The Press.

The older I've gotten, the more fragile I've become. It takes longer to bounce back and get my head on straight; still, once done, I'm a fantastically skilled, intelligent hard worker who would do someone a lot of good. I can't get in the door. I watched my dad go through the same thing when he was 50, so I am not surprised.

I also know that I need to lose weight and boost my skills even more. I'm working on achieving both goals. It is slow going. Going back to school is easier than losing weight for me.

The thing is, Senator, I've become one of the disenfranchised and disgusted. Because of my background in Public Access, I met quite a few politicians including President Obama, Senator Simon, Representative Rostenkowski, State Senator Link, Representative Kirk, Senator Burris, and many, many more. I have a firm dislike for Representative Kirk based on personal experience. I have fond memories of making President Obama laugh. I always enjoyed my conversations with State Senator Link. Yet with all this experience, I am completely dismayed at the current political climate and am not sure I even want to live in this country anymore, but I'm stuck here. I have fallen through a few cracks and am frustrated and heartbroken.

I'm a good person. I'm just one of many who are languishing; slowly dying everyday, yet getting up and trying one more time.

I am among the lucky. I have a Housing Voucher. My rent will be adjusted to my income. Because I have chosen to stay in the apartment where I raised my children, and where my son still lives with me; I will still be required to pay something towards my rent. We may be moving, I guess.

My son is looking for work, and has worked in his field. He is looking for any kind of work, though. He has a hefty Student Loan balance since he graduated from The Illinois Institute of Art in December 2009.

Also, anytime we do have work; we report it to the proper authorities. My life with my children has been a constant reporting to the authorities because I chose to accept Government Aid.

Had I chosen a better husband, I would not have decided to accept as much Government Aid as I have; still, I am grateful for my Voucher because I have been able to keep a roof over our heads while I got my college degree and worked. I will be finalizing my Back Child Support paperwork in hopes of collecting some of the over $25,000 that Keith Harrison Maxwell (living somewhere in California) the children's Deadbeat Dad owes. He shows no remorse. He actually told his son that he decided not to pay his Child Support because he would've become a bitter man because he'd have to go without something he wanted. This is the same man who molested my (yes, my by now) daughter. I picked a real loser and have been battling my own bitterness, anxiety and depression for all these years. My nerves are almost shot, but I'm not dead yet; so here I am writing to you.

I, for one, am becoming increasingly angry knowing that the politicians, bankers, lawyers, insurance executives, etc. have pretty decent jobs with benefits while it just seems to be getting tougher and tougher here at the bottom of the financial food chain. We really are expendable, aren't we. Just like the young who sign up to be soldiers. We can spend money to protect (as in their assets) and kill people, but we can't spend money to make sure people have a place to live, something to eat, and a place to work? Come on. Really? What's the point of living in a country like that? What's the point of preserving that way of life?

Please help the many, who like me, are struggling to survive with a bit of dignity, honesty and hope.

Sincerely,
Michelle A. Ofstun

PS: I do have a blog, and I think my letter to you is going to be posted there. I'm always encouraging people to write to their representatives, so... the address is http://forwardatfifty.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. You certainly pulled no punches and laid it on the line in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. i'm not a complete ditz. :D don't get me mad, mo'fo's. really wondering who you are... but well, thank you.

    ReplyDelete