Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Response to the Form Letter from Senator Burris - :D

The following is the form letter I received in response to an email I sent on June 25, 2010. Two things:

1. I would prefer being addressed by my proper name, Ms. Ofstun or Ms. Michelle A. Ofstun. I take the time to address the Senator by his proper title, and I would like the same respect. Being addressed by my first name is a bit demeaning in my book.

2. This letter was of no help since April 4th has come and gone. This letter has made me a bit irritated. I'm not sure anyone has really read my letter. While a response is appreciated, a proper and intelligent response would be more greatly appreciated. I might as well post this on my blog, too.

The only response I'd like in the future is for Unemployment Benefits to be Extended for me and quite a few others I know. Thank you.

BTW, are there any job openings in your Chicago office? I'm available.

Sincerely,
[Name Omitted for Blog Purposes]


Dear [my first name]:

Thank you for contacting me regarding job creation measures in the United States Senate. I appreciate the benefit of your views.

In these tough economic times, it is critical that we provide Americans who have lost their jobs with the tools necessary to continue to support their families. With over six jobless people for every job opening and over five million workers who have been unemployed for at least six months, people need extra help now more than ever. I have been working in the Senate to pass comprehensive job creation legislation that will get our economy back on track.

So far this year, the Senate has passed two jobs bills. On March 18, 2010, President Obama signed the Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act (H.R. 2847) into law. This legislation creates new job creation incentives including a payroll tax exemption for every person hired in 2010 who has been unemployed for at least 60 days and an extension of Section 179 Expensing, allowing taxpayers to write-off up to $250,000 of certain capital expenditures in 2010 in lieu of depreciating those costs over time. It also extends the latest authorization of the surface transportation law until the end of the year, restores previously repealed contract authority, and returns the potential interest to the Highway Trust Fund had it been able to continue to earn interest on unspent balances.

The Senate also passed the American Workers, State, and Business Relief Act of 2010 (H.R. 4213) on March 10, 2010, providing further tax-credits and extending COBRA health insurance and Unemployment Benefits until the end of the year. However, the House of Representatives is in the process of considering the Senate version and I am hopeful Unemployment Benefits and COBRA health insurance will be extended before their April 4th expiration.

I will continue to listen closely to what you and other Illinoisans have to say about matters before Congress, the concerns of our communities, and the issues facing Illinois and the nation. My job is not about merely supporting or opposing legislation; it is about bridging the divide that has plagued our nation’s politics.

Sincerely,

Roland W. Burris
United States Senator



Thank you for contacting me electronically. Unfortunately, I cannot respond to replies directly to this email address due to security concerns. I look forward to our further correspondence through my web form located at http://burris.senate.gov/contact/contact.cfm. Thank you for your understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment