Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Cleaning

It is 9:34am. In less than an hour, I have scrubbed my kitchen, fed Ziggy and Sammy, made coffee, and am now sitting down to write a bit. I've gotten into the habit of cleaning when I first wake up on Sunday mornings. I don't know how this happened. I'm driven on Sunday mornings to start cleaning. It's really strange especially considering how much I detest housework. The whole euphemism of "creating beauty" does help, but my focus on Sunday mornings is unearthly; I feel possessed.

Of course this is the last Sunday that I will do this because next week I become a Childcare Provider and Sunday School Teacher starting at 9:15 every Sunday morning. Whoa. How did that happen?

Obviously I applied for the job and got it, but what was it that made me go for this one? Was it the location? Was it the thought that it might be a nice environment to work in? Was it my underlying desire to be as much like my grandmas as possible?

Sometimes I chuckle to myself when I think of my grandparents up in Heaven still working to convert me to Christianity. I must still frustrate them, but this latest move must be seen as "one step closer."

The truth is that while I can no longer call myself a Christian, I do have a deep love and respect for all the better qualities the religion promotes. While I respect other religions, I was raised as a Christian child and know more about the Christian faith than any other faith. I still remember the clean feeling that I used to feel on Sundays after Sunday School and Church. It was a physical and emotional sensation that I relished. It was very similar to working out at the gym. It made me happy.

Besides, my grandparent led the pack of Christians that I've known throughout the years; so as a result, I have very fond memories of how I learned about Jesus and God. As I have said before, "They taught through example." What this means to me is that they embodied all the finer teachings of the Christian faith; they walked the walk.

So next Sunday I become a Sunday School teacher. How can a Non-Christian teach Bible stories to three and four year olds? The answer is simple: I respect each person's right to raise their children in the faith of their choice and had great role models to follow. One of my grandmas was a bona fide Sunday School Teacher. One of my grandfathers was very active in his Men's Bible Study Group. All of my grandparents taught Christian values every day of their lives, as far as I know.

I was going to write about Bode Miller, the Packers, and the Bears; but I think I'll stop now. BB is taking the first shower in our new shower in a pristine bathroom. It's good to stop with a warm fuzzy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment