Saturday, May 22, 2010

extra! extra! read all about it!

just saw david ride by on his red moped/vespa/whatever thingie. no, i'm not going to blog without using punctuation, etc. just needed to warm up a bit before tackling today's post.

ok, one more neighborhood thingie - d just dropped off her air conditioner. 3, 3, let's sing a song about 3! 3 air conditioners. we're ready to rock and roll. thank you, d!

At 6:13am with the radio blaring, I turned my head to confirm that I would not be leaving at 7am. The jury was still out about whether or not I'd leave the house. I went back to bed for another twenty minutes. This went on for a couple more times, then M*A*S*H* was on directed by Harry Morgan, so I decided to watch that while continuing to lay in bad with thoughts of maybe going to the Open Extras Casting Call.

I was pretty sure I'd be going because I'd bought a Blackhawks t-shirt, and it's been a long time since I spent over $2.50 on a t-shirt. What was I going to do with a washed and stretched Blackhawks t-shirt if I didn't go? It would be a constant reminder of the failure.

OK, so I didn't need to be there til 11am, and it went to 4:30pm; and the mission was to get me out the door and on my way.

I'm very happy to report that my daughter's "Happy Birthday to You" song was sung to her while driving down to the city. I got to talk to my oldest granddaughter, too. Well, that was just wonderful. I signed off and continued to drive to the Chicago Academy for the Arts building arriving around 10:30am. Drove back and forth deciding where I would park and opted for the gravel parking lot behind the animal hospital. No signs! Seemed to be a good spot.

A good looking older man pulled up in his Blackhawks jersey. We exchanged pleasantries, and walked to the end of the line which was right in front of the animal hospital with a beautiful liver-colored lab tied up in front.

People were quiet for the most part. We waited. I read my Frank Zappa book. A woman came by and told us to have the forms she was handing out filled out by the time we got inside. That was the beginning of a most fortuatious meeting.

"May I borrow a pen?" the woman behind me asked.

"Sure," I replied thinking that it was a good thing I'd packed four pens.

"May I?" asked a gentleman behind her.

"Sure," I replied and continued digging in my bag for all my pens because I saw another guy motioning that he'd like one.

If filling out a form can be interesting, this is simply because I turned into a woman while filling it out. It was all over Bust/Waist/Hips. Dang! There I was feeling like a doofus for not taking my measurements before going especially considering my training! To top it off, I was embarrassed about what measurements are even in approximation. About nine months ago I took my measurements, so I couldn't be far off. I had to take my measurements for my daughter's wedding and for some nice business suits for interviews. I had a good internal chuckle at me, and turned to the woman next to me.

"Do yo mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"No," she responded.

"Well, we seem to be about the same size, and I was wondering if you know what your measurements are."

"Oh," she chuckled and showed me her form, "I left it blank. You don't think we'll be disqualified for that, do you?"

We both chucked and continued talking. We introduced ourselves, and by Norma's request; got each other's phone numbers. We were both Open Extras Casting Call "virgins." I told her everything I knew from bugging my son, Justin, and doing research on the web. My vintage bag, that my mom can't figure out why she gave me and my daughter wants, was packed with everything I could think that I needed and maybe someone else would need, too. My Blackhawks shirt was on with my black bell bottoms and green hiking shoes from Blaine's Farm & Fleet. I relaxed. So did Norma. I made her laugh. I love making people laugh with my self-depricating humor and honest interaction. From the heart, ya know?

Soon we were standing about seven feet from the door. My Frank Zappa Book had been replaced with my green folder containing my picture, the form and both resumes. We were directed into the building by another nice looking gentleman. We were told to go downstairs where we were told that people in Blackhawks stuff were to go to one side, and street clothes people to the other. Well, thank goodness Norma and I went out last night and bought Blackhawks shirts!

The woman checking us in was wearing a black and white striped tank with jeans. She was beautiful and curvatious. She was flying covering the front desk and filling the staplers. She was also keeping a mental note of what number she was on. Everybody's form got a number. Mine was B127, and Norma's was B128.

We had our pictures taken with our Blackhawks gear on and number showing below the .... hawk which basically means below my breasts. I saw the look of discomfort on the photographers face. He made me laugh and relax. I'm sure the picture is goofy.

When I got done with that, I got a bit scared. Norma wasn't to be seen. It was just an instant, though.

"There you are! There's my buddy. I'm working on the buddy system, now."

We laughed and made our way up to the front of the line with our forms, pictures, and resumes stapled together. We were both going over the instructions we'd received regarding casting the movie. They need reliable cars! We were also asked if we had any medical, police, or military background. Unfortunately, I do not have a working dog.

Soon, I was up a the front of the line. I handed in my paperwork and received a handout in return. I followed the people in front of me to the exit door. To the EXIT DOOR! Wow! That was quick. I looked down at the handout and read, "One day of work...." Just by showing up in a Blackhawks t-shirt, I got ONE DAY of work!

I went back to gather Norma who was standing patiently in front of the two beautiful women checking people out. I waited in the doorway trying to make myself as small as possible.

"Is that it?" I heard Norma say.

"Yes, you can go," one of the women responded nicely.

Norma came walking out just as dazed as I had been.

"Did you read it?" I asked.

"What?"

"The letter. We've got ONE DAY of work! I got a day of work! Wow! I can't tell you how long it's been since I felt that! Wow," I went on and on.

Norma just chucked at me and at her own good fortune. Not bad for two Open Extras Casting Call virgins. We were delighted and made plans to keep in touch, go to the Transformers Open Casting Call together, and go to the United Center for our Blackhawks game sometime between July 21st & 23rd, or maybe even all three days. We were giggly, over-the-moon happy. By this time we were beside my car. Norma and I said our good-byes, and she walked across the field to her car.

I got in my car, put the key in the ignition, and heard nothing. Nothing. No turn-over. Nothing.

My heart sunk. I started thinking. Norma! I called her cell phone.

"Norma? It's Michelle. Do you have jumper cables by any chance?"

"What? Oh. Let me pull over. I think I might. I'll call you back."

While I waited, I figured out how to get the hood open, checked out the battery, checked the oil, and read the Owner's Manuel to see what kind of oil the car took. The oil light came on besides the car not turning over, and I thought it looked very low.

Norma pulled up, and went to her trunk. She had the cutest little red bag with the cutest pair of jumper cables still in their wrapping. We figured out that she needed to park her car so it was facing mine.

Just about then, another good-looking young man called from the fence, "Ladies? Do you need some help?"

"Uh Huh," I called back in my best three-year-old little girl voice.

He laughed and headed towards us. His name was Josh. Kudos to Josh for being willing to be a good samaritan. I told him that he was there for moral support when he showed up. I knew how to hook up the jumper cables and taught Norma how to while I was doing it.

Unfortunately, the car did not turn over. Nothing.

As Josh talked about just having his alternator replaced, Norma asked me what I wanted to do. We discussed my options with Josh and Norma making a good argument for having the car towed. It was convincing, but I wasn't quite ready. Josh said his good-bye with our blessing. I was perfectly willing to find a store or gas station to see if adding some oil would help, but Norma didn't want to leave me.

"Unless you're a mechanic ...," said Norma.

I looked up at her, fully aware that my son was in Wisconsin, it was my daughter's birthday, and I didn't have a clue who to call; but it was time to secure the vehicle and move on.

GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN! A bird just pooped on my son's computer! This may be a sign! (There's another story there.)

It's getting chilly, and I'm sitting outside with my Blackhawks t-shirt, some khaki shorts, my Wisconsin flip-flops, and the lovely, green, fleece shawl that my Mom gave me - on. Bird poop on the computer! ... and no napkins in sight.

There is more to the story, though. Much, much more. Could be that there will be two posts on this day, May 22, 2010.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHICKLET! I did all this for you! More on that later, too.

AND ...

I've found my fashion havens! Well, I knew about Tarjay, but Blaine's Farm & Fleet is a recent discovery.

Have to insert a big "Thank You" to Mom for introducing me to Willow Ridge!

Come back for the second installment of "extra! extra! read all about it!"

2 comments:

  1. Bittersweet happens! Not necessarily in that oxymoronic order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it does. Oxymoronic. Can I steal that? :D

    ReplyDelete