Friday, May 28, 2010

Y-AWNING!




Thanks to my son (from now on known as BB) and his girlfriend (from now on known as SA), I accomplished a goal that I've had for years today. I got all the awnings up that would go together. Three out of four have survived. They've been sitting in my basement for a decade or so. I'm sure I'm not exaggerating. They are airing out along with BB's tent. My yard looks like it's ready for a party. Hmmmmmmm.

I not even tempted to sleep in the tent tonight. I would be if it had been cleaned out by the film crew that it was lent to, but it wasn't; so I'll opt for my comfy bed. Besides, I need to get the rest of the camping gear out of the basement and aired out.



I'm grouchy, dirty, and tired. It was a bitch getting the last awning up.

Years ago, my dad worked for a company that made these things. The largest one is a gazebo. It has two sets of legs; one set has rubber ends, and the other set can be bolted to concrete or a deck, I suppose.



The other two are Port-A-Shades and have handy bags for all the pieces making storage and transport very convenient.



The last time they were up, a giant wind storm came up and one of the gazebos got rolled across the back yard. We had enough pieces to get one gazebo up. That's OK because one awning had rust stains and a hole in it.

OF COURSE AFTER WE GOT THEM ALL UP, I FOUND THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Poor SA. I was so happy when she stopped acting scared and told BB and me to stop acting like five year olds.

BB had hurt my feelings and made me damn mad when he said, "I hate working with you."

We'd been going at each other the whole time until she said that. He did not want to be working with me and was attitudinal. I've never used attitudinal to describe a good mood, so if you haven't heard that one before; this just clears that up.

OMG! Trying to find the words to describe parts, directions, suggestions, and just plain trying to communicate on top of dealing with "the Gandhi of Homework!" It still applies. This was "homework" in the truest sense.

If you're reading this, I'd like you to cut and paste the following link and read the article. I received it from Rebecca, a FB Friend that I've never met in person. It's an amazing article about unconscious sexism. Please read it. It is solid confirmation of how life is different for the sexes.

The Situation of Sexism - The Situationist
http://thesituationist.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/the-situation-of-sexism/

I'd also like everyone to watch the following cartoon about how to save the world. BB sent it to me in a moment of sheer brilliance. Dang. I'm going to have to apologize for being so harsh, maybe. I'm thinking his sarcasm made my retort OK, maybe. I don't know. I did ask him to quit being so silent and attitudinal and let his anger come out in that babbling, funny, true way he has.

"In case you haven't noticed, we've been trying to get out of here for the last fifteen minutes. Is there anything else you're wondering?"

His sarcasm hit me full on. I started to argue with him, but knew nothing good would come of that, so instead I responded with an over-the-top, "Why the Fuck Did I EVER Have Children?!"

BB turned and headed to his car. I turned and headed to the house. SA sat on her car looking in my direction.

"It's OK, SA," I told her. She gets upset when she sees BB and me fight. I told her that I would mentor her out of being afraid around grouchy, loud, arrogant, sarcastic, hard-hitting combatants.

I did get an apology out of him for his mean comment about hating to work with me. I understand where he's coming from. I also understand where I'm coming from. I also understand where my mom is coming from when she asks for my dad's and brother's help. I understand so many of my friends, family and enemies, now. Dang, am I understanding.

Well, maybe I'm not so understanding. I'm back to tense and upset due to "technical difficulties" that are not BB's fault except for the fact that any time I ask him to teach me something about the computer, he doesn't want to. I know, I know. STILL! It's aggravating to the "Nth Degree"!

In any case, here is the link to cut and paste (getting frustrated about my lack of education on this one, too!), so you can watch a brilliant cartoon (some prefer animation) about "How to Save the World." It speaks about mirror neurons, child development, empathic distress, existentialism, religion, history, and much more.

RSA Animate - The Empathic Civilisation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g&feature=player_embedded

The information contained in these two pieces has changed my life. The following song also changed my life. How did they do it? How did they know what I was thinking? How did they know what my parents were thinking?

Paul McCartney - She's Leaving Home [Red Square'2003]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeNA80mo5DI

It's not that I didn't have any fun with my parents and brother in my hometown. I did have a bit of fun in my hometown, but most of my memories of my time there are miserable. I couldn't wait to leave home. I'm so glad I did.

OK, so now I'm not so grouchy 'cause I've tattled and enlightened. What can I say? Not sorry, right Dad. I'm not. I'm not sorry I tattled even though you always told me not to be a tattle-tale. I'm certainly not sorry that I have attempted to enlighten those who stop by here. I'm not sorry because my dad always tells me to stop saying that I'm sorry, so for you, Dad, "I'm NOT Sorry." Guess you come out about even there, Sir.

I'm still sore and dirty, though. It would be a good idea for me to take a shower and go veg. It is after midnight.

I'm even a bit satisfied and grateful, now. Happy is knocking on the door. He's a cutie pie with a good heart, so I'm going to let him in.

HI! HO! Hi! Ho! Hi, ho, hi, ho. It's off to Life I go! (exits whistling because it's her house, and she can)

No comments:

Post a Comment