Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pretty Darn Good Day

Well in the world of goals, I've met quite a few today.

Had a brilliant time in the city. It was a gorgeous day. The drive down was fabulous because we took Sheridan to Lake Shore. Such beautiful architecture ... and the lake! If you ever get the chance to drive Sheridan Road on the North Shore of Chicago, please do so. It's a feast for the eyes and very relaxing. You'll see the Baha'i Temple and Northwestern University. You'll also see just about every style of home along the way. Then, of course, is Lake Shore Drive which takes my breath away and restores my spirits every time I travel it. Lincoln Park to one side, the boat slip to the other, beaches, the skyline; they all thrill me, still.

I love watching people. There are so many different people in the city. I found myself captivated by a black, heavy-set woman simply wearing a black suit, white shirt and heels. She looked like she was in pain and had something troubling on her mind. Of course there were tons of young professionals and tourists. A few caught my eye, but none really made me wonder what they were all about. I was intrigued by an Indian couple with two small children. They looked to be grandparents with their grandchildren. They were kind and positively protective - calming. There were plenty of beggars, too; but I didn't give them any money today. I've pretty much stopped giving them money. I always used to, but then I got to thinking about what my money might be spent on; so I stopped. I saw a man give a woman beggar a couple of granola bars. That made me think that the next time I go to the city that I'll pack a few and maybe some apples or bananas. Well, the next thing I knew I was imagining a murder mystery about someone who would give poison apples to the beggars....

That's as far as I got before I was over the Chicago River looking at the water taxis. I think the whole concept of water taxis is very cool. I'm trying to think of a reason to take one somewhere. I'll have to check into it.

Today it was sunny, so the light was bouncing off and being sucked into the different surfaces magically. My favorite building, designed by a woman architect, has the most interesting balconies. They're curved and undulating. It kinda looks like tree bark made of white concrete and blue glass. I am unimpressed with the new Trump Tower. At least it is innocuous enough that it doesn't take away from the world famous Chicago skyline. That's the best I can say about it. One of the best things about going to the city is finding new sights right where I've walked hundreds of times. I discovered a skyscraper with an ornate, old first two stories and royal blue and lime green for the rest of it going up. I also highly recommend looking like a tourist when going to the city because you're spending a lot of time looking up at the buildings from different angles. I never would've discovered this delightful building if I hadn't been doing just that.

I got to take the train home. I love the trains. I mean, I really love the trains. Riding the train always reminds me of the time that my grandma and I took the train up to her house from my house. It took hours. We sat and talked and watched the world go by. I love trains.

Today I did some knitting while I was riding home. I FINALLY did some knitting, again! Wow! It was so nice and relaxing to sit there and just knit in the cool, cool train. Knitting reminds me of my grandma, too.

Think what you will, but I can feel my grandparents around me a lot lately. I've felt them around me for most of my life, so maybe it's just sense memory of hugs, kisses, and kind words; maybe it's their spirits. I don't know, and I don't care. It comforts me to remember them and know how much they loved and cared for me. It comforts me to feel them with me. When I remember them, I believe in myself because they believed in me. I was everything I was meant to be in their eyes every time they looked at me. I was so very lucky to have them in my life for as long as I did ... and still do, huh.

On my walk home, I stopped by a local French bakery and treated myself to an eclair. It was yummy. I finished it before I passed the library, so I stopped in an Italian specialty/gourmet food shop. It's an amazing place. I treated myself to some homemade artichoke ravioli and pesto sauce along with some shredded parmegiano cheese and a truly decadent pint of mint chocolate gelato. I will now state an official opinion, "Gelato is FAR BETTER than ice cream or frozen yogurt." Needless to say, dinner was excellent. :D

To make my good day great, I watched "Mamma Mia!" for the first time. What a fantastic, feel-good movie! Why did I wait so long to see this?! I mean, Colin Firth is in it! I watch anything he's in.... DUH. I'm very glad that SA brought it over and watched it with me.

I'm going to bed because I've got school tomorrow and more decisions to make. I think I better do some exercises tomorrow, too. All my treats may have just added all the weight back on that I lost due to my food poisoning... maybe not. Maybe I actually lost weight due to watching what I've been eating and drinking lots of water.

So, in one little visit to the city, I accomplished three goals; going to the city, walking and knitting. Not bad. In one little day, I accomplished quite a few more goals like not worrying, laughing, eating well, and more.

Now it's time to say, "Good Night and All My Best to You & Yours. Sweet Dreams."

No comments:

Post a Comment