Friday, August 27, 2010

Change Perspective

I have been away from my blog for two days on purpose. It was a conscious decision though possibly not a good decision. That's how it goes sometimes. I've been floundering, in case you haven't noticed. You've noticed, I'm sure; so let's try to resolve this issue.

My blog changed tone a while back because I made another conscious decision not to write about certain people and certain events in my life. I restricted my freedom of expression in the interest of protecting my privacy and the privacy of so many that I love. Things happened in my life that I don't feel are appropriate to share for a wide variety of reasons. I've been struggling with the new format. Quite honestly, I'm struggling with it even as I type this.

To date, I've got my Extra stories to finish, and people may or may not still be interested. The movie has wrapped, and I was kinda waiting until it did to share some of my experiences and thoughts about some of the "major players" until it had wrapped. I guess I could look at this as accomplishing a goal. Why not.

I started a completely improvisational short story about a Princess and her most trusted friend, Gadyen. I cannot remember the entire process of settling on the name, Gadyen; but I do remember looking at other languages for a word that meant what I wanted the character to be about. I settled on Gadyen after about a half hour of research. The following is a description of the Shan word, "Lawg Gad Yen", that I just found. The Shan live in the Shan State of Burma (Myanmar). I am happy with my choice of name. As a side note, it is quite understandable that the Shan would have such a word in their vocabulary:

Shan: Lawng Gad Yen
Posted on January 5th, 2010 by Nicholas Farrelly

v.ifjuwf;,Aef

Relates to peace

The Shan word for peace is gad (uwf;), meaning ‘to be cold, cool’ combined with yen (,Aef), ‘to be quiet, still, calm’, to become ‘peaceful, happy, free from outward troubles.’ Yen also has the added meaning of ‘being quiet after a conflict.’ The substantive prefix lawng (v.ifj) simply turns the word into a noun.

Another word is also commonly used by villagers, gad yen kyan sa (uwf;,Aefcsmrf;oMb), which combines the Shan word for peaceful with the Burmese word kyan tha (csrf;om) which in itself means ‘to have peace and quiet.’

These words mean more than a mere lack of fighting. Both words carry the meaning of wanting to live without being disturbed by other people or peoples. The term is not expressly linked to the withdrawal of Burmese forces, but rather the absence of conflict or war. However, it is be associated with a lack of oppression and human rights abuses, and conflict which for many Shan are tied up with the civil war. As such in popular consciousness there is a perception that if the Burmese Army left – especially if there was independence – there would be peace in Shan State.

The SSA (North), a ceasefire group, has coined the word lawng ngam yen (v.ifjirf;,Aef) to talk about peace. The word ngam (irf;), ‘to offer shade’, takes the place of gad and the whole term literally means ‘the offer of cool shade.’ This reflects the regional differences in the Shan dialects.


There is also this meaning from the Haitian Creole – English Dictionary with Basic English – Haitian Creole Appendix by Jean Targète and Raphael G. Urciolo that I know played a role in my decision:

gade, gad 1 vt 1. To look (at), to behold, to
glance (at). 2. To watch, to watch over, to attend
to. 3. To keep; to store up. 4. To raise (animals).

gadyen an n Watchman, guardian*, caretaker,
guard*, keeper, shepherd.

gadyendbi a Goalie, goalkeeper. Haitians also
use the word ‘goal keeper'


So there's just a little bit of the thinking that I do sometimes while writing about things.

Here's an antidote: I once had the pleasure of emailing a famous author regarding how and why he picked a certain name for one of the characters in one of his books. He simply responded that he couldn't really remember, but that he did know more than one person by that name and maybe our previous conversation had made an impact on his writing. I liked his answer because of his simple honesty. It was comforting. I could hear his voice in his written words. It made me feel good. He was very kind to me once upon a time, and I'm glad I met him. I continually hope that he and his family are doing well because of our few brief encounters.

That's the thing, you know. There are long-standing relationships and brief encounters that shape us all every day. I suppose the long-standing relationships are more important, but the brief encounters remain in my heart, too. The tidbits of my life bolster me throughout my life, and I just can't let go of all these moments that have led me to where I am now. Because I met this author, I strive to be as good to others as he was to me. I understand a public versus private persona, but I'll take what I can get when I can get it and expect no more. It's up to me to make of it what I will. I choose to let the simplest, good acts lift me up. I don't really think it's a Blanche Dubois moment. I just enjoy incorporating these times into my bag of tricks. I think of the Dalai Lama and so many in war-torn countries; people who lack fresh water, food, homes and medicine. It puts my mind right to think of the bigger picture, and how one act of practical kindness can change a person. I know that I've been changed for the better because of each and every kind exchange that I've ever had. I like sincere compassion, so I'm doing my best to spread it around.

So - From now on, I'll do my best to focus on finishing up my unfinished stories, keep you posted on how I'm doing on my goals (which is not so bad these days - I'm drinking water right now :D), and simply being honest. My intent is compassion, entertainment, and interesting stories that will lead us all to a better place. The villains will be bad. The heroes and heroines will be good. I'll do my best to present a multi-dimensional perspective to my writing, and we'll see how it goes.

Take care, All. Remember, there are so many who are far worse off than you are, but that does not mean that what you're going through isn't valid and important. It just means that it might help to put things in perspective and give you some strength during your more difficult days.

Here's a saying I made up:

"No Blood, No Guts,
No Bombs, No Bullets ...
It's a Good Day."

2 comments:

  1. I'm so ready to hear more about your experience as an extra :)

    Love cousin Lizzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cousin Lizzie - I finished the last post on my first extra experience on 9/14 in case you missed it. :D

    ReplyDelete