Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas for Non-Christians

Well, I've already received one of those "Keep Christ in Christmas" emails and seen various posts on Facebook stating the same. I have no objection to the sentiment for Christians. I'm just not a Christian.

I found the following information at www.christiananswers.net:

Why do many Christians celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December, if that is not when he was born?

The date was chosen by the Roman Catholic Church. Because Rome dominated most of the “Christian” world for centuries, the date became tradition throughout most of Christendom.

The original significance of December 25 is that it was a well-known festival day celebrating the annual return of the sun. December 21 is the winter solstice (shortest day of the year and thus a key date on the calendar), and December 25 is the first day that ancients could clearly note that the days were definitely getting longer and the sunlight was returning.

So, why was December 25 chosen to remember Jesus Christ’s birth with a mass (or Communion supper)? Since no one knows the day of his birth, the Roman Catholic Church felt free to chose this date. The Church wished to replace the pagan festival with a Christian holy day (holiday). The psychology was that is easier to take away an unholy (but traditional) festival from the population, when you can replace it with a good one. Otherwise, the Church would have left a void where there was a long-standing tradition, and risked producing a discontented population and a rapid return to the old ways.
There are is a theory that Jesus was conceived in December and born in September. All in all, though, it doesn't really matter since nobody has been able to find out the exact date of Jesus' birth. The important thing for Christians is to honor the birth of their savior. Of course, I support them in their desire to celebrate the birth of their messiah.

Given all of that, my only thoughts on "Keeping Christ in Christmas" are that tolerant language and a general appreciation for the rest of the population that aren't Christian would be greatly appreciated. It's disturbing to me to receive angry Christian emails and see angry posts about Christmas. Christmas is not about intolerance and anger in my book, so seeing so many so angry about perceived cheapening and diminishing of a holiday that was basically created as a promotional tool and/or membership campaign tactic by the Roman Catholic church is just yucky. This very spirit diminishes the true nature of Christmas in my opinion. It brings forward one disturbing and constant question, "Why do some Christians behave so un-Christian-like? Very disturbing and constant throughout my lifetime.

I live in a multicultural community and have experienced the wonderful spirit of many non-Christians who volunteer to take shifts from Christian co-workers, etc. It's a beautiful tradition where I live that I love witnessing every year in some way. Christmas does bring all people together in my corner of the world. For me, that's what it's all about. I wonder what Jesus would think?



I've continued celebrating Christmas all these years since I decided I could no longer call myself a Christian or a follower of any one religion. The reason that I've continued to celebrate Christmas is because Santa Claus is my favorite Saint. For me, Christmas is all about Santa Claus, children, and the spirit of giving. Giving does not have to be in material form. In fact, I really like the energy that it takes to give of myself and to receive the same from others. I also do my best to carry this spirit throughout the year. I have Santas around my house year round as a reminder to all who visit that this is a home based on giving and bringing cheer. They remind me, too.

As I start pulling up more Santas and Christmas decorations, I'll be bringing up my Madame Alexander Kwanza doll, too. She's beautiful. I bought her and a Madame Alexander Santa doll at Marshall Field's after Christmas one year when the After Christmas Sale got to 75% off.

My favorite color for Christmas lights is blue and white which makes me chuckle because those colors are a part of the Hanukkah celebration. My favorite colors together are blue and green, so that's how I gravitated to blue and white for Christmas tree lights.

I'm of the firm opinion that I was put on this earth to not join any one religion. I believe I was put on this earth to spread tolerance for everyone and everything. I struggle with this belief, but do my best. I have a genuine dislike for intolerance and mean-mouthed people that holds me back. How to tolerate the intolerant? Now that's difficult.

At this time of year and during Easter, I honor my Christian heritage and foundations of faith along with the many different faithful beliefs that I've acquired throughout the years either from secular or religious philosophies. This is a part of me that I like and have no intention of changing. I'm firmly of the opinion that "God" likes it about me, too. I put "God" in parenthesis because my definition of "God" is so long and still forming that "God" is much easier for me to write and say. It's sort of like when Prince changed his name to a symbol and nobody knew what to call him. I don't mean to be disrespectful at all. I do believe in a higher power; I just refuse to take the time to attempt to define my vision of "God" for anyone including my children. My beliefs are personal, and I ask no one to join me in them.

With all of that said, I do have a request for this Christmas season. I would love it if everyone joined me in a tolerant and joyful celebration during this time of year when so many are celebrating what it means to love one another and do our best. There are celebrations for the next two months at least for almost every faith that center on love, children and togetherness.

This is a time of year when diversity presented boldly. I really like diversity. It rocks my world. It makes my life so much more interesting and fun. It challenges me to be a better person. My request is simply to try on a bit of tolerance for diversity and see if you don't enjoy it too. It might just tickle your soul, and make you smile a little bigger and laugh a little louder. At least that's my hope.

Merry Christmas to Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment