Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Follow-Up to "My Name is NOT Earl..."

There was an important part that I left out of the story. It's important that I tell it because SA just arrived and told me that she loved my post today. She said that it made her laugh. I laughed.

Back in the middle of all the madness, I decided it was important that I go over to my fellow manager's house and apologize to her parents for corrupting her and getting her in trouble. She continually told me that I didn't have to do this, but I felt it was my moral obligation and part of taking responsibility for my actions.

I entered her home and saw her mom standing in the kitchen over the counter that overlooked the family room. Her dad was napping on the couch. My friend stood behind me.

"Hi," I said to her mom, "I'm here to apologize for corrupting your daughter and getting her in..."

"Just hold it right there," her mom interrupted, "You do not need to apologize to me or her father for what you did. Our daughter has a brain and a mind of her own. Whatever she did, she is responsible for."

I stood in awe. My friend's mom stared at me sternly with her hands on her hips.

"You know," my friend's dad said as he sat up on the couch, "It's not that big a deal. Really. I know you think it's the end of the world, right now but believe me; some day you'll laugh about all of this. I know you don't think that you will, but some day you'll realize that this is just High School. You'll laugh at all of this some day."

I stood there in shock and awe. My mouth hung open, and I couldn't speak. Finally, I snapped to with, "Oh, I'm so sorry."

"Don't say you're sorry to us," my friend's mom told me.

"OK," I replied, "But I really don't think that I'll ever laugh, but thank you."

"You will," said my friend's dad.

Well, it has finally happened. I have laughed for the first time over all of this. SA is responsible for making me laugh. She's convinced that my story is a great idea for a "bad, B-movie, teen, comedy, ensemble flick" like "Providence" meets "Animal House." When I told her the real names of a few key players, she was dying with laughter.

"You can't make this shit up," she said, "The characters are all there. Who lights a joint on a school bus? The coach's pet? Oh my God! This shit doesn't happen in real life!"

I've said for years that my life is just one big, bad B-movie. Ed Wood, look out! Here I come.

It has finally happened. I have laughed for the first time about this stupid part of my life. Thanks SA. You're more of a God-Send than even I ever imagined that you could or would be. I'm still laughing ... and shaking my head in disbelief. Who woulda thunk it.

Oh! SA liked the bit about me popping Darvon like candy, too. She says it's because she knows me now and respects me that she even believes that this is all even true. She also says that if she had a time machine the first place she would go would be to that bus on that night when that joint was lit.

I'm still laughing. I honestly can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment