Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Thor Continues To Inspire

Yesterday's post was a HUGE Disappointment. Man, if you could've read what I wrote; but alas, you never will. I am taking it as a "sign." Why? Well, the post was one of my more personal posts and did reveal intimate details of how I plan on surviving. It also went on about people who receive Government Aid, and the people who work at these agencies. Basically, I said that everyone is pretty darn good under very difficult circumstances; such as, having benefits end and going to work every day to a MOUNTAIN of paperwork and an AVALANCHE of phone calls with a Hiring Freeze in place. For anyone not involved with being Unemployed, "Financially Challenged", and/or working with people in need; it is important to acknowledge the true environment and the courageous and compassionate spirits of everyone dealing with these realities on a daily basis. 'Nuff said.

This morning I was up early (4am), and have been surfing the net ever since. Since I was feeling a bit down and blah, I decided to check out what My Champion, Thor Hushovd, has been up to. Well, let me tell you that the man still amazes me with his grace and practical approach to his career.


This year he will be a "Super-Domestique" for Tyler Farrer with Team Garmin-Cervelo, an American-based Professional Cycling Team. He is giving up his lead role and opting to support a teammate in the interest of team success. He will be riding Classics like Paris-Roubaix (which I'm sure he still would like to win), le Tour de France, la Vuelta a Espana, and defending his World Championship in Copenhagen on September 25th.

I have no idea what he's doing for New Year's besides spending time with his family, but he did get to go to the Cayman Islands for Team Camp before Christmas. Looked like a lot of fun.


Jonathan Vaughters is the Director Sportif with Team Garmin-Cervelo. He and the team continue to uphold stringent anti-doping policies and procedures. Riders sign contracts outlining that they can be tested by the team anytime and anywhere for any number of performance enhancing drugs including testing for plastics. Why plastics? Well, if a rider has been given a blood transfusion, which is not allowed under current regulations, the plastics from the bag will show up in the blood stream. This testing is not currently accepted on an international level, but the team is committed to a "Clean" Team. Of course, I applaud these measures.


Thor has joined some of my favorite cyclists with his move to Team Garmin-Cervelo. Cyclists like David Millar (UK), Dave Zabrinskie (US), Christian Vande Velde (US - Chicago), Tyler Farrar (US), Julian Dean (NZL), and many more. I'm looking forward to cheering for them all.

2011 Riders (Extensions & Signed)
BARKER Andrew USA
BOBRIDGE Jack AUS
BUSH Robert USA
CARLSEN Kirk USA
CRUZ BERNALDEZ Alfredo MEX
DANIELSON Tom USA
DEAN Julian NZL
DURTSCHI Maxwell USA
FARRAR Tyler USA
FISCHER Murilo BRA
HAMMOND Roger GBR
HAUSSLER Heinrich GER
HESJEDAL Ryder CAN
HOWES Alex USA
HUSHOVD Thor NOR
KLIER Andreas GER
KREDER Michel NED
LANCASTER Brett AUS
LE MEVEL Christophe FRA
LLOYD Daniel GBR
MAASKANT Martyn NED
MARTIN Daniel IRL
MEYER Travis AUS
MILLAR David GBR
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas LTU
RASCH Gabriel NOR
RATHE Jacob USA
REEVES Thacker USA
SCULLY Thomas NZL
SQUIRE Rob USA
STETINA Peter USA
SUMMERHILL Daniel USA
TALANSKY Andrew USA
TEKLEHAYMANOT Daniel ERI
VANMARCKE Sep BEL
VAN SUMMEREN Johan BEL
VANDEVELDE Christian USA
ZABRISKIE David USA


So what did I learn today as a result of my early morning wanderings? Well, I learned that being a member of a team takes a practical and self-sacrificing approach at times. It has to do with setting the ego aside and doing what's best for the team. It also means that while some things may change that there are still goals to be accomplished and dreams to fulfill.


Thor hopes to end his career with a Norwegian team and is still looking forward to the possibility of a few wins in a few races that he has yet to win and another title to defend. He hasn't given up because he's getting older. He's switched gears and is facing this phase of his career and life head on. He's realistic and motivated. He's concentrating on being a good role model and representing himself and the sport of Professional Cycling in the best possible way now that he's wearing the World Championship jersey. Thor Hushovd has always represented himself in the best possible way, though. I continue to be happy that I hooked into him way back when. He inspires me to do a better job in my own life.

1 comment:

  1. I also discovered a very funny Cycling Blog called, "Cycling Inquisition" at http://cyclinginquisition.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete