Sunday, October 3, 2010

THOR HUSHOVD - WORLD CHAMPION! - Am I Surprised and Thrilled? YES!

You know how it goes. Get up in the morning. Turn on the computer. Pour a cup of coffee. Sit down to check your email.

Lo and Behold, there's a little message from Cervelo Test Team that says, "Thor Hushovd new road champion." WTF!?!?!

I just sat and stared. I was not only speechless; I was motionless. I played the words around in my head for a bit, "Thor is World Champion? Thor Hushovd, World Champion."

Finally I clicked on the email and read with my own eyes, as opposed to the eyes of someone else, that yes, indeed, Thor Hushovd is the New Elite Men's Road Cycling World Champion. Amazing.

http://www.roadcycling.com/articles/Norwegian-God-of-Thunder-Thor-Hushovd-Wins-2010-Road-Cycling-World-Championship_003931.shtml

Now I know for most of you this is of no importance, so allow me to take you on a bit of my journey as a cycling fan. It goes like this....

In 1974, I went to Europe as part of a group of French and Spanish Language students from my hometown. There were twenty-seven students and six chaperons. We'd spent about a year and a half planning our five week trip. We landed in Germany, went on to Belgium, then to France, Spain, made a memorable cut through Italy, on to Switzerland, and back to Germany to go home. We drove three VW Buses all over Europe and had a great time.

We planned each stop; what we would see and how long we would stay. We were in France during Bastille Day, another memorable stop. In case you don't know, Bastille Day is on July 14th. This is not only important because it is French Independence Day, but because this means that we were in France during Le Tour de France.

I'd learned about Le Tour de France from Monsieur Chatelain in French class when I was in 7th Grade. There was no coverage of it on US Television, so it was alluring and mysterious. It was also just plain crazy to think that people would ride their bikes for twenty-one days for so many miles. The "craziest" cyclist of them all was Eddy Merckx, "The Cannibal", a Belgian who has to be regarded as the greatest cyclist of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

I wanted to go to a stage of Le Tour since we were going to be in France in July. Dang Democratic Voting! I was out-voted, and we ended up going to a perfume factory or something. The perfume factory won out over the cave drawings, too. Excuse me, but "Stupid Classmates!" Needless to say, I was not an entirely happy camper. Winning the T-Shirt Design contest did help, but I still didn't get to see Eddy Merckx ride for his final and fifth Tour victory. HARUMPH!

Well, the net/net of that experience, and growing up in a town where riding a bike was an acceptable means of escape from the parental homestead, was that I became a Cycling Fan. I was very happy that the Wide World of Sports had their first coverage of Le Tour de France on July 26th, 1975.

So, I've been following cycling in some way since The Seventies which is rather difficult being an American and not having full coverage and all. I remember news of the 7-Eleven Team riding in The Eighties. Phinney and Hampsten were my favorites. Who can forget Greg LeMond's brilliant 8-second win in the 1989 Tour. I can still see him crouched over his aero-bars as he plowed down le Champs-Elysees. The "Lance Years" were truly thrilling because they started when I worked for the cable company, so we had free cable; and Le Tour was televised LIVE Daily - and - Replayed at least twice a day. July became "Le Tour Time." The sound of Phil Ligget's and Paul Sherwin's voices crooned throughout my home and at work, if at all possible, every moment of every race day that I could have them on. These were thrilling days that gave me much joy, but not because of Lance, so much.

It was during the 2001 OLN (Outdoor Life Network, now VERSUS) Coverage of Le Tour that I became aware of Thor Hushovd. He was the only Norwegian in the field. There was only one Tour cyclist from Norway, and it was Thor Hushovd.

You see, being 100% Norwegian in a country known as, "The Melting Pot", is a rather strange experience in this day and age. As a result of this, I am overtly pro-Norwegian. I used to way that I was Norwegian-American, but that phase has passed. Still, I take notice of all things Norwegian (and hope to go there some day). I am very proud of my ethnic heritage. Everyone should be as proud of their ethnic heritage(s) as I am, imho. Every culture has done something good. It's just that Norwegians .... ;)

Anyway, while he USA was buzzing about Lance Armstrong going for his third Tour win, I was rooting for Thor Hushovd to win sprints. Lance was exciting, of course, but my eyes were on Thor. Thor was my cyclist. Everybody else could have Lance. I was happy to have Thor "to myself."

So from 2001 until today, I have been Thor's "biggest fan" in the USA. My friends at www.bicyclegroup.com can vouch for my single-minded fanaticism. Other cyclists may get my respect and admiration, but Thor holds my heart and loyalty.

He's a Sprinter. Sprint finishes are exciting ... and frustrating. He's a big guy for a Sprinter, but he's developed other skills making him even more exciting and interesting.

Throughout the years, I have spent much time yelling at Phil Ligget, Paul Sherwin and Bob Roll for not mentioning Thor's name during races. I've yelled at them for discounting his talent. I've yelled when he won. Oh, how I've yelled when he's won. How I've held my breath, too. I've watched in sheer delight while others discounted The God of Thunder's prowess. To me, these cycling days are all about Thor Hushovd. Man, am I lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Hushovd

In 2001, he came in first with his teammates on the Credit-Agricole team during the Team Time Trial (TTT). Their kits (what a cycling "uniform" is called) were green, my favorite color. Side note: I would like to see more TTT stages in Le Tour. It's an amazing bit of riding to witness.

In 2002, he won his first stage of Le Tour. I brought the house down. I started watching the Green Jersey (le Maillot Vert) race with new fervor. Green is my favorite color, after all.

2003 there was nothing in Le Tour. :(

Thor showed up for the 2004 Tour wearing the Norwegian National Championship jersey for both Time Trial and Road Race. What a beautiful jersey. It's perfection. He also donned the Yellow Jersey (Le Maillot Jaune) for the first time during Stage 2 and went on to win Stage 8. It was starting to seem like even years were Thor's years.

In 2005, Thor showed with little Norwegian Flags on the arm bands of his Credit-Argicole jersey signifying that he was again the Norwegian Time Trial Champion. He didn't win any stages, but ended up winning the Green Jersey (Le Maillot Vert). Now this brought controversy because to be a Champion without winning stages is, well; it makes people discount the achievement. Right, Phil, Paul and Bob? ... and so many others! HARUMPH - Again! Technically speaking, le Maillot Verte is the jersey awarded for the "Most Consistent Rider." It is referred to as the Sprinters Jersey because it is based on Sprint Points accumulated, as opposed to Climbing Points used for the "King of the Mountains" Jersey (a red polka-dotted jersey). Still, my man had won Le Maillot Vert, so "Sod Off", Everyone! :P

The 2006 Tour was the most dramatic Tour to date for Thor. He won The Prologue (the individual time trial that starts Le Tour) and donned le Maillot Jaune. The following day at the end of Stage 1, a freak accident had him on the road with blood spewing all over, or so it seemed to me. My Thor was hurt and bleeding! It was gushing out! He'd gotten cut by a fan's souvenir; one of those large, green hands that were handed out prior to the race. He was back for Stage 2, though. He regained le Maillot Jaune for Stage 3. The rest of Le Tour he rode well, but it seemed doubtful that he would win le Maillot Vert, again. Still, he won Stage 20 on le Champs-Elysees! This is a much coveted victory. In 2006, Thor won the first and last days of racing in Le Tour! He did not defend his Maillot Vert, but he finished Le Tour in grand style.

In 2007 & 2008, Thor won one stage in each Tour. I saw a tweet from Lance Armstrong about pictures with Thor during the off-season and smiled because riding with Lance meant that Thor, who always struggled during mountain stages, was training with Lance and most probably improving his climbing abilities.

2009 saw one stage win for Thor during Le Tour, and more importantly, it saw one of the most amazing rides by a Sprinter or any cyclist ever. On Stage 17, Thor took off for points during a mountain stage. This surprised everyone. His riding was brilliant. He won the Combativity Jersey for his efforts that day. He went on to WIN le Maillot Vert that year after shutting up his nay-sayers and Mark Cavendish. It was clear that he was a worthy victor.

Wearing the Norwegian National Champion's jersey, again, Thor came to Le Tour to defend his Maillot Vert. What a sight for sore eyes. (I'd indulged myself with a $30 Live Streaming subscription on VERSUS for Le Tour) While this year's Tour was exciting to witness, Thor came up short-handed in the defense of his Maillot Vert. It was a well fought battle that had the Green Jersey switching backs quite a bit. Thor was amazing, again, with stellar rides throughout the mountains. He just isn't fast enough to out-sprint Cavendish, most times; and this year Alessandro Petachi had an amazing Tour and won le Maillot Vert. Of course, Petachi is currently being investigated for doping.... hmmmm.

So I get up this morning knowing that Universal Sports will be airing the World Championships at 7pm tonight and discover that MY MAN, Thor Hushovd, has gone and won the thing! Now I know it's a one day race, and any rider who has a good day can win it. It's just that Thor had a good day and won it!

There is no better present for this Thor Hushovd fanatic. Well, maybe there is, but this will do. It feels so good to have stuck by him all these years and to have seen the improvement. From all accounts, he's also very nice. He's married now and has a child. He was born in 1978.

So here's to Thor Hushovd! He's won more races and stages besides Le Tour de France stages and races that I've outlined, and you can check them out through the Wikipedia link I provided. It even has his World Championship win today!

Here's to Cycling! - even with all the doping stuff - because no other sport has participants who have to give their whereabouts 24/7/365 just so someone can show up and stick a needle in their arm.

Here's to 1978 - because it is GREAT!

Mostly, here's to the creatures who inspire us all and bring us joy. I say creatures because I can't wait to see "Secretariat" - but that's another story, that I've already told.

Kudos to you, Thor! You are World Champion! It has been and will remain my pleasure to be your "Biggest Fan" in the good, ole U. S. A.

5 comments:

  1. Great story! Next year Thor will win the Paris-Roubaix...

    Regards from Norway!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. Yes! Here's to a win at Paris-Roubaix next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ..... :) I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tusen Takk, Karin! I've got lots of thoughts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin has told me that it was a camera and not the green finger thingie that hit Thor when he was injured. Tusen Takk, Karin. Live and Learn. :D Amazingly happy, still. :D

    ReplyDelete