Saturday, October 23, 2010

Asshole! - BE GONE!

I've spent most of my day thinking about my history of dealing with assholes. As a result, I've done a bit of research and found a truly amazing book by Bob Sutton called, "No Asshole Rule." It was published in 2007. How I wish I had found it then. A Stanford Professor, Bob Sutton also write a blog and articles for various publications and websites. He is a genius. His book addresses Assholes in the Workplace, but I'm sure it can be used in my personal life, too. Looks like I'm headed to the library to check it out. If I don't find it there, I may just have to buy it. I was particularly impressed to read that many companies have "No Asshole" type policies in place. Most notably are Berkshire Hathaway, Pixar, and Mozilla; to name just a few. This give me hope for my future employment.

Here's a link to a post by Professor Sutton about surviving Abusive Bosses and Co-Workers:
http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/03/tips_for_victim.html

Starting in 2007, I worked at Highland Park IVF Center. On my third day of employment I was publicly berated. The abuse and bigotry continued until I left almost two years later. What I could've done with Professor Sutton's book. Highland Park IVF Center and Dr. Edward Marut's office stand to this day as the worst place that I've ever worked. Leaving was great even if I did get fired.

Recovering from the way I was treated is still on going, but today I made a major leap. I expect that when I start Domestic Abuse Survivors counseling on Monday, that I will really get on the right track. I'm looking forward to it.

I now realize that I've let Assholes of every kind get the better of me for years. From the bullies in elementary school to college boyfriends (my high school beaus were amazingly good) to my ex-husband to too many of my daughter's boyfriends and even to friends of my own; I have suffered Assholes far too often. Today that changed. I made a loud popping sound - FINALLY! I'm kinda slow on some things, but once I get it - VOI-FUCKIN'-LA!

It finally occurred to me that I will not tolerate being treated disrespectfully. I will not be demeaned. I will not cooperate so an Asshole can get their way. Put simply, "Life is too short to work with Assholes, much less have them infiltrate my personal life." Can't tell you the freedom I feel. I'm willing to do without anyone who mistreats me on a regular basis. I'm ready to say, "ENOUGH!" If I am good enough to accept money from, then I am good enough to be spoken well of. How dare anyone malign me without knowing me. Just for the record, interrupting someone is a classic sign of an Asshole. Classic. It's the Red Flag that tells me that I'm done dealing with someone UNLESS an apology is forthcoming very quickly.

The Arrogant, Brutal, Cruel, Dimwitted, Egocentric, Flippant, Grotesque, Hateful, Ignorant, Juvenile, Knuckleheaded, Loquacious, Mean, Narcissistic, Opinionated, Quasi-Intellectual, Ridged, Stupid, Totalitarian, Unimaginative, Venomous, Wanting, Xenophobic, Yellow-Bellied Zealotism upon which Assholes choose to express themselves has no place in my life ANYMORE! Duh. I mean, "Really People. DUH!"

I'm off to finish watching "Perry Mason" and Laugh and Smile with such a happy heart. You have not idea what a great service the Asshole I had to deal with today has provided for me. I'm even willing to give up any family member or friend because of my new found FREEDOM! Here's hoping those I love and care for realize this because I won't miss them if they don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment