Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hippotherapy Joy!

For the last two days, I've had the best time volunteering at a local Hippotherapy facility. I mentioned it in my blog on Thursday.

Thursday was my first day. Friday was my second.

On Friday, I did much more than just groom horses. I took horses out to the coral, brought them back in to the stable, took them out to graze, "sidewalked", and groomed them. I got bashed around by horses a bit, too.

When I say that I got "bashed around", I mean that a few of the horses literally pushed me around. It was a matter of their desire to graze when it was actually their time to go in the coral. Not a big deal, really. I'd just forgotten the feeling of having around 1,000 pounds of muscle and bone pushing against me. It made me laugh. I enjoyed it. I pushed back.

I was yanked around, too. Really quite funny. I'd forgotten what happens when you let your mind drift for a moment, and a horse wants what a horse wants. It was Poco who reminded me. Dear, sweet, gentle Poco showed more of his personality and spirit on Friday. The more I see; the more I like.

When I took Poco out to the coral, I learned that when he's unclipped from his lead line; he takes off. He doesn't turn and walk into the coral. He throws his head to the side, jumps and gallops off. It's important to be aware of each horse's tendencies. I was forewarned, so no problem. It isn't an aggressive act. It's an act of joy. People just have to be aware. Not only do people have to be aware for themselves, but they also need to be aware of where the other horses are; so that, the other horses don't get hurt, either.

While I was taking Poco into the stables after grazing, my mind drifted for a moment. I was in the driveway, but in actuality, we were still on the "grassy knoll." Poco didn't miss his opportunity to get some more grazing in. He turned, lowered his head to the ground, and yanked me off my feet. I cracked up. I didn't fall. I was just pulled over to the grass instead of walking calmly to the driveway. I really laughed. Sandy laughed, too. She apologized, but there was no need. It was funny. I'd forgotten about being ever attentive and "in the present."

Horses are very good for teaching a person to be "in the present." The reasons are obvious and numerous. Certainly safety for both human and horse is the primary reason, but there are others. Simple enjoyment of the moment is paramount, too. Enjoying each other's company fully is a part of it. Another part is understanding each other.

Communicating with horses is something that I understand. I may not understand all the quirks and signals of each individual horse, but I understand how to learn about horses. Horses are easier than people for me. Animals in general are easier than people for me.

Horses communicate through body language and a bit through sounds. Nipping can be playful or serious, and to what degree depends on each horse. Poco likes to touch my back with his mouth when I'm grooming him. It's a "Hey. What cha doin'?" kinda thing. Harley likes to try to nip at my back when I groom him. It's a bit of intimidation that is dispelled with a comment or growl. When Tia throws her head up while I'm grooming her face, it doesn't mean that she doesn't like what I'm doing. In fact, it means the opposite. Tia loves to be groomed, and her enthusiasm is much like the enthusiasm that my cat, Sammy, shows when I'm petting her. They're both trying to help me get to the right spot.

One of the things I love about horses is that with a quiver, a tiny muscle movement, so much can be said. One ear back, one forward, two ears back, two forward, a tail switch ... which makes me laugh because Harley flicked me in the face with his tail today when I was grooming him. It was deliberate. He got me good. It was like being flicked with a towel in the locker room. It was playful and purposeful. I do like Harley even it he is more demanding. Because of him, I'll be able to handle Ice, Big Red and eventually Calvin.

So besides all the horse time I had on Friday, I also had time with a client and therapist today. It was an awe inspiring experience. It was a Speech Therapy session with a small child. I was completely converted by the experience. The interaction between therapist, child, horse and helpers was just as much a part of the therapy, as the phonetic game that was played to improve the child's speech.

This is where the "sidewalking" comes in. It's simple, really. By placing my forearm over the child's thigh while they were riding the horse; they are secure. I grab on to the blanket and bareback pad with my hand and gently apply pressure with my forearm on their thigh while walking along side the horse as they work with their therapist.

So Friday's session at the Hippotherapy facility was lovely. I had a wonderful time meeting more volunteers and staff. I forgot myself as I got to know the horses more.

I'm thinking I might just go out this morning to see them since they're so close. I don't have to volunteer, per se. I could just go out and groom a few or help take them out. I could just go say hi to Tia and hide away from it all. I've found another place to get away to; another sanctuary. I think it's even better than the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment