Monday, October 4, 2010

The Wee Small Hours - and other thoughts.

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
by David Man & Bob Hilliard

When the sun is high
In the afternoon sky
You can always find something to do
But from dusk til dawn
As the clock ticks on
Something happens to you

In the wee small hours of the morning
While the whole wide world is fast asleep
You lie awake and think about the girl
And never even think of counting sheep

When your lonely heart has learned its lesson
You'd be hers if only she would call
In the wee small hours of the morning
That's the time you miss her most of all

When your lonely heart has learned its lesson
You'd be hers if only she would call
In the wee small hours of the morning
That's the time you miss her most of all


Frank Sinatra's version of this song is my favorite. I grew up listening to Frank. My parents were big fans. Face it. "Old Blue Eyes" had phrasing down to an art form not seen since his passing. His voice? Well, I can still hear it in my head. Thank God. How lucky were we?

My mom and dad went to see Frank Sinatra in concert once. It was my dad who was standing, cheering, and going nuts over the man's singing. That's always made me smile.

So I'm posting this at 7am after being up for about a half hour because every morning I wake up thinking about my granddaughters, my daughter and son-in-law. The lyrics can apply to all of us in some way.

I hope the "forces that be" are listening to me. I hope all the professionals understand what's going on. For now there's nothing that I can do except do my best to do my best - and - stay positive.

Since I haven't had a love interest in over fifteen years, most of the love songs that I hear tend to remind me of my children, my grandchildren or a few friends. Guess that's the way it is with love songs; the words are about love and can be transformed into something that touches each individual's heart in the way that they need.

I'm particularly fond of Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders for "I'll Stand By You." Michael Stoller and Jerry Lieber's "Stand By Me" is a favorite, too.

I met Michael Stoller a couple of times and may have written about it. I met his wife, Corky Hale, too. Corky Hale played with Frank Sinatra. When I met them, I was clueless about their musical accomplishments. I just knew they were nice and wanted my ex to do some construction work for them. I think about them so often because they were nice. I hope they're doing well.

This morning I am grateful for music. Of all the arts, I love music the most. It is the foundation upon which dance is built, or at least in my world it is. I do not play an instrument and have a so-so singing voice, but I can dance thanks to years of training. When I put on music and dance, I am at my happiest. It's downright spiritual. Since it is too early to turn on the music and dance because I would wake the household, I am going to go listen to nature's music because that's another good thing for me to do.

At the risk of blowing it completely, I will tell you that I am going to get this posted and then head out for a bike ride or a walk. I have plenty of time before I go to class. It is something good I can do for myself that I really need to do for myself. I have to continue to lose weight and get in shape.

Good Luck, Everyone. Count your blessings because that will help you get through the rough times. Focus on the positive and do your best to make the changes you want to make in your life. I know it's hard, believe me; but remember that we all struggle, so none of us are alone, really. Carry those you love in your heart and maybe things will get even better. Here's hoping, huh.

OK, now the challenge is to actually, "Step Away From the Computer." tee hee :D

No comments:

Post a Comment