Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gratulerer Med Dagan, Aase!

"Happy Birthday, Aase" - in Norwegian.
(Note: Since I do not have my keyboard set up to type an "A with a ring above it", I use "Aa" for Aase's name.)

Quite a while ago, I traveled to Iowa to meet relatives from Norway. Aase had been writing to my grandma for years, and Mom told me that if I wanted to meet some Norwegian relatives that I'd better get to Grandma's house. Away I went with kids in tow.

It was a nice afternoon. They were very nice. We exchanged addresses. Everyone had a wonderful time. We took pictures together. We laughed and talked quite a bit.

Mostly, I watched and listened as Aase and Grandma talked. Well, it was something to see and hear. Aase showed my grandma the respect and appreciation that she deserved. Aase genuinely admired my grandma. I've never had any doubts that everyone should admire my grandma, but to see these two talking and laughing was so heart-warming. I have no idea what they wrote to each other all those years, but they were very comfortable together.

When I wasn't eavesdropping on Aase and Grandma, I talked with Harald. He was very nice. I immediately took a liking to him, too.

A few years later, Grandma died. I was the one who told Aase. I told her in a letter, I believe, but maybe it was through email. Not exactly the best way to tell someone something like that, but certainly timely. I took to writing to Aase more often. I even called Norway a couple of times.

I even sent packages once. This ended up being a very embarrassing, comedic event. It created hassles for them instead of delighting them, as I had hoped. In my over-enthusiasm, I made a fool of myself. Aase continually told me not to worry about it, but it plagues me to this day. It's not fun to make such a silly first impression ... though, I'm sure not all of what I sent or did was completely foolish... still, "what a dolt, I was." That was years ago, though; and we've all moved on from then. I've never sent another package. LOL

Aase would send the most amazing letters. Beautifully handwritten in English with pictures of family and surroundings. They are pages and pages long. I've kept every one of them. She's also had Harald type up emails for her to send to me. At least I think that's how it goes. I do get things wrong sometimes, so maybe she types them herself, but .... whatever. It does give me a wonderful visual of Aase sitting with Harald over the computer telling him what to type, and Harald being the nice man that he is typing for her.

It's been many years of keeping in touch. I haven't done such a good job lately due to my plethora of personal and professional trials, but I continually thinkg about Aase and Harald, their children, grandchildren and various cousins. I'm of the firm opinion that I have more relatives in Norway than in the US since meeting Aase and Harald.

Keeping in touch with Aase has been a joy. Aase has broaden my world view. I think we get on quite nicely. We've discussed home improvement, Harald's painting (both artistic and practical), the Norwegian Health Care System! (YAH!), each son and their families, politics, holidays, food, history, opera, art, genealogy, humanity, family and friends. I've learned bits about my cousins "over the pond" thanks to Aase. Having never met any other Norwegian cousins face-to-face, Aase and Harald personify all that is good about Norway to me.

I dream of going to Norway someday and seeing Aase and Harald again. I'd like to meet my other cousins in person, too. ... and Yes, it is a beautiful country, so some sights would be good. Well, let's just face it; I dream of moving there and experiencing all the country has to offer. I've had this dream for a good long while, but it's grown into an obcession since meeting Aase and Harald.

I've had more contact with other Norwegian cousins from both my mother and father's sides of the family since meeting Aase and getting on Facebook. I have to say that all that I've had the chance to be in touch with have proven to be conscientious, funny, nice, intelligent, and down-to-earth. I'm very impressed. ... and yes, Jone, Atle, Elizabeth, Berit, Ruth, Anita, Elin, Malin, Svein, and Steffan - I'm talking about you and many others.

While I realize that Norway like any country has its good and bad people, but I've never had contact with a Norwegian that was anything but stellar. Something about ... well, I've only met nice Norwegians. (This is one of the reasons I like Thor Hushovd, by the way - He's nice... from what I hear - a fierce competitor, oh World Champion [CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!] - and nice.... but I've gone and gotten distracted again. Oops!)

I do have to admit that Aase will always remain #1 with me as far as the relatives go. Yes, it's because I met Harald and her first, but she's earned the distinction through action and deed. There is so much more I could say, but for now, I'll leave it at that. I am just very grateful that I took that trip to Iowa so long ago. It remains one of the best decisions that I've ever made.

October 31st is Aase's birthday. When I first met her, Norway did not celebrate Halloween. A few years passed, and all of a sudden, Norway decided to celebrate Halloween. Aase was not happy.

"They've ruined my birthday," she told me, "It's all ghouls and scary things."

I was dismayed seeing as I have always enjoyed Halloween, but I certainly could understand her point. After all, not all of Halloween is about ghouls, ghosts and goblins in the US. We do dress up as innocent, happy characters, too. I did my best to explain this to her and added that I hoped that Norway's celebration would either die off or incorporated the more innocent aspects of the holiday.

In any case, October 31st will always be Aase's birthday first and Halloween second in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment