Friday, October 1, 2010

EMINEM - Catharsis & Transformation

Underneath depression is anger.... It's important to get to the anger. It's important to express it.

Aristotle and Plato went head-to-head on their theory of violence on the stage. Aristotle believed that violence on stage was cathartic and would allow the audience to go on with their lives without acting out their own violent thoughts. Plato believed that violence on stage was detrimental and would cause the audience to act out their own violent thoughts. The debate continues today. Both may be true. Personally though, I'm a follower of Aristotle.

Catharsis is a marvelous psychological tool. An imagination can go a long way to relieve a person's turmoil. The Arts specialize in bringing darker images and thoughts to "life", so we don't have to. I've always had respect for those who are brave enough to allow their vulnerabilities show; their good and bad. When done right, these artists do create something that can be transformational; life changing.

Throughout my life, I've battled with depression and anxiety. It's only normal that during more stressful times that the symptoms increase. For a while I took an anti-depressant/anxiety medication. It was very helpful, and given my current circumstances, if I had insurance I would gladly take a "happy pill" again. Given that I do not have insurance and have not found a way to get into see a doctor, I have resorted to handling my emotions as best as I can without medication. I've lived a long life and acquired a few skills, so it is a bit easier now; but it is still sloppy. Still, I slog on with hope of finding a bit of relief every day.

I've found relief in nature, exercise, responsibilities, prayer, meditation, films, and music. Today I found relief and motivation through one of my favorite artists, Eminem.

http://www.eminem.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminem

I became aware of him a bit late in the game when the gay/lesbian community got upset with his lyrics. I started listening to his songs a lot. My take on it was "artistic expression" much like Ice-T's "Cop Killer", a song I liked because it expressed a view prevalent on the streets of LA at the time. Is Eminem anti-gay and telling people to go out and hurt gay people? The jury's still out, but Eminem has recently come out in favor of gay marriage. Of course there's that famous performance with Elton John, too. Still, what I appreciate is the courage to throw so much anger out on the stage. It certainly brought homophobia to light in a big way. Eminem has spoken about his "inner demons" and I'll let it go at that. He put it out there. He was brave enough to be vulnerable even if that vulnerability was vulgar, grotesque, and hateful. He said he was writing from the perspective of his alter-ego, Slim Shady, a street thug. Whether or not people believe his explanation, he wrote words I've heard people I know say. He put an attitude in his art that I have personally experienced. Was it right or wrong? Is there a right or wrong to this issue? It goes back to the old Aristotle/Plato debate.

As a side note, was Ice-T telling people to kill cops? Ice-T's own interviews at the time state that he was relating the attitude he was hearing on the streets; and that, he was not telling people to kill cops. The song was taken off of future releases of the album, "O. G. - Original Gangster." What I would give to have the original pressing. As a further side note: Ice-T was the first portrait I ever drew - from a picture. I still enjoy watching him on SVU.

So on to Eminem, or Marshall Bruce Mathers III, who is still controversial and open. He's got three songs out now, "Love the Way You Lie" with Rihanna, "I'm Not Afraid", and "No Love" with Lil Wayne. He's back and amazing as ever. He combines artistic skill and heart with anger.

When I first heard "Love the Way You Lie", I thought of so many Lennon/McCartney songs where a wry hook would be added - a bit of spice (sarcasm or whatever) - to break up the sweetness. It's certainly poignant since Rihanna is in it and the subject matter is domestic violence. Can't say it's my favorite of his current songs, but it's not bad and has an important message with good lyrics.

"I'm Not Afraid" got me out of my slump. When I heard it, I officially started to love Eminem. The song is an uplifting and energizing anthem to his sobriety and offers hope to anyone going through similar difficult times. He makes a public promise to his fans that some might point to as delusions of grandeur, but it's Eminem. Not only do I believe his words, I believe his intentions.

The "No Love" video was premiered yesterday. I've watched it a few times. The song is angry, violent, and vulgar; but the circumstances are equally atrocious. The video depicts a young boy being bullied at school. It sample's Haddaway's "What is Love" that we've all come to know through SNL's Roxbury Guys. It's definitely a different take on the song that I appreciate. "No Love" speaks to standing up for yourself with lyrics like, "It's a little too late to say that you're sorry now. You kicked me when I was down..." and "You showed me nothing but hate. You ran me into the ground, but what comes around goes around..."; and then, Eminem goes into one of the fastest, yet understandable, raps I've ever heard. The man can enunciate! :D

I get so caught up in trying to be spiritually loving that I get overtaken with despair. It's one thing to be nice and loving, but that doesn't mean that I stuff my anger and let people walk all over me. I'm learning with Eminem's help.

He is controversial, has some terrible lyrics about women and gays, and throws his art out into the world with a vengeance. I respect artists who do this. Whatever the art form, I love seeing something that is well made that moves me; be it anger, righteousness, laughter, tears, and mostly thought. Controversial artists make us think.

Thank you. Through Catharsis, I have been momentarily transformed. I have another trick in my bag. I'm thinking Eminem would be great to work out to. Starting out my day with a bit of Eminem, coffee and breakie sounds brilliant.

It's time to stop... and remember another great artist, Bill Cosby, who said, "I don't know the key to success, but I know the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

1 comment:

  1. I've been keeping track of what's going on with the Tyler Clementi suicide case. This article highlights many concerns that people have.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101001/ap_on_re_us/us_student_taped_sex

    Tyler Clementi's roommate and friend have been arrested and charged with breach of privacy. Too many people suffer because of mean, ignorant people.

    In general, I would like to see more emphasis placed on helping children (and adults) develop skills for handling bullying. This may be the topic of my post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete