Monday, February 21, 2011

Resolution and Rebirth

While Wisconsin peacefully protests, and Libya's protests are a bloody mess; I sit here content about the turn of events that happened today in my life. It's trivial compared to what's going on in the world, but today's events taught me something about myself; I can stand up for myself through intelligent conversation. I really thought that I'd lost the ability to state my case coherently when opposed by an authority figure. I have a lot of people to thank for this recent turn of events. I need to thank BB, SA, my Yoga instructor, my T'ai Chi Chih instructor, people I work for, and many friends and family. Like the Grateful Dead sing, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

Today I regained a certain sense of self that I thought that I'd lost along the way. It took an hour of talking to the Director of the WIA Grant program in our area, but I was able to communicate my situation, ask intelligent questions, refuse to accept responsibility for those things that were not my fault, and still carry the conversation forward to an acceptable solution. It was a revelation. The hour-long conversation revealed a part of myself that I let go of at least fifteen years ago; my ability to fight for someone's rights. By incorporating my improvisational skills, my listening skills, my compassion, my intelligence, my communication skills, and my desire to resolve the issues in an honest way while following all the Federally mandated regulations; we reached a mutually agreed upon solution to my ten days of Hell. I'm very proud of me.

The net/net of the conversation and subsequent conversations with my school's Financial Aid Department and Bookstore is that I dropped the two classes that I added, returned my books for a full refund, and will start the WIA Grant programs in the Fall of 2011 studying whatever I choose to at that time as long as it is on the On Demand list of professions.

More than ever before, I am considering Paralegal work as my way to help people. I am interested in Intellectual Property Law and Family Law. I may even get up the nerve to try out some Litigation Law. One step at a time, though.

For now, I am happily back to Plan A; going to school part-time and figuring out what I'm going to be when I grow up. I'm growing up at an ever increasing rate, and foresee a promising future for the first time in ages.

Sweet dreams, all. Peace be with everyone fighting the good fight. Sacrifice is worth it for our futures. I am happy to be a member of our world community again. I am making the world a better place and will continue to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment