Friday, February 18, 2011

WIA Grant Process

I am having the worst time trying to navigate the WIA Grant process. The information keeps changing and isn't being given out in a manner that allows me to make an informed decision. My representative looked at the On Demand job list and decided that "Editor" meant "Video Editor." Duh. She says Web Design and Development isn't covered, yet when I found the website and the list of On-Demand Jobs, "Designers" and "Multi-Media Artists and Animators" were listed. "Writers" were listed, too. Shoot, apparently "Athletes" are On Demand, too.

This is one of the goofiest and most frustrating experiences of my life. My representative hasn't been answering my questions, and when she does the answer changes. Besides all that, she looks at me and speaks to me as though I should know this stuff and be able to make a decision based on the trifling bits she doles out in random order.

I asked if I could change majors once I was in the program. She said that I could. Today she told me that I'd be stuck in A/V Production and stuck at the college that I'm at to boot. The equipment sucks. The software is OK, but the WIA Grant doesn't pay for software or computers. It pays for books, tuition and fees which is fine; but if I'm going into a technical field where these things are needed, it would be nice to have them covered. I don't even want to major in A/V Production; been there, done that.

OH! I was also told that the only class that would be covered would be the one that starts on March 15th. The other classes that I'm signed up to take because I have to be a Full-Time Student would come out of my pocket. This is why I'll be out $500 by signing up for this grant. This sucks. This sucks. This sucks.

Sunday is the last day to drop classes without a financial penalty. I may drop the classes that I added. As for the books that I bought, I'm going to try to return them, I guess.

You see, by accepting the WIA Grant I am actually down $500. That's right. If I stick to my original plan, I'm up $500. Of course, I would pass up the chance for some government money for good, but it might just be worth it.

Besides, when I've asked her if I could postpone signing up until the summer, she's consistently said that I had to start right away. Today when I was leaving, she told me that I could wait maybe 45 days; she wasn't sure.

At this point I'm fed up with learning and trying to find a job. I'm definitely fed up with my representative. I've placed a call to speak with her supervisor. This process sucks balls; big, hairy, sweaty, boar's balls.

I have to make a decision in by tomorrow. Guess I'll sleep on it. Argh! I'm so furious and muddled up that I'll probably just lay in my bed and glare at the darkness. Here I thought tonight would be a celebratory night. Man, was I wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment