Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seeing Through the Fog

I've already sent this request to a number of friends and thought I could "multi-task" by posting it here as well.


Seeing Through the Fog

Hello Friends.

I don't expect to get a response to this post, but if you feel so inclined; your input is greatly appreciated.

I've volunteered to do a series of articles focused on "Putting a Face" on mental health issues for a local NAMI chapter's website. The aim is to reduce the stigma associated with being diagnosed or having a family member or friend who is diagnosed with a mental illness. My scope is to talk to working mental health professionals, teachers, students, adults of all ages, and legal professionals to mention just a few other perspective interviewees. I want to formulate 5 questions and then have an open-ended conversation with each interviewee.

I'm asking for question suggestions and volunteer interviewees that I can practice with. I'm going to "interview" myself, first. I have to test out how I feel about coming forward and what I want to say with regards to "everything."

If you wish to remain anonymous, just send me a message with whatever you wish to say. I will keep your identity confidential and welcome the input. By now you should know how much I value collaboration. I'll be happy to credit you if you wish or let your identity remain unknown in the published interviews regarding questions and any information or stories that you have to offer.

Two events prompted this project: Ron Artest "came out of the closet" in a big way and Jared Loughner's shooting spree in Arizona. Ron Artest just spoke at a Congressional briefing about funding for programs that would help with early detection of mental health issues in school age children. The information about Jared Loughner's life continues to flow on the Internet; both his present and recent past. I have not taken the time to read the articles, but it appears that he has legal counsel, has new mug shots, and shot into a crowd at his school prior to shooting people in the parking lot. Multiple concerns and general thoughts filled my head and heart as I processed these two events because I always liked Ron Artest for some strange reason that I still haven't defined, and the reactions to Jared Loughner struck home, considering my background. I just kept thinking about their humanity and what could've been done earlier to help them; thus, preventing some of the pain and suffering that each has experienced and inflicted during their lifetimes.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to your responses. Take good care of yourselves, and I'll do the same.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment