Sunday, February 27, 2011

Topanga Days

Every year I watch the Oscars is different. I guess it is for everyone, but I, just like many, seem to have key memories related to where I was at the time. One time I was in a psych ward and heard Tim Robbins urge anyone who had been abused to seek help. I cried. I remember Dustin Hoffman taking his time to tell people that winning an Oscar was better than any drug. Gwyneth's pick dress was stunning as she cried during her acceptance speech. Listening to the armchair critics the next day, I was angered. I even heard voices when I read the critiques because everybody had to jump on that bandwagon. Of course, everyone jumped on Cuba Gooding Jr.'s exuberance, too. So many poignant, beautiful moments. I remember Marlon Brando sending up a beautiful Indian activist to accept his Oscar. I particularly remember how beautiful her dress was. I know she talked about injustices Native Americans were facing. The introduction of the word, "Native Americans" has become the norm, now. Growing up the proper term was "Indians."

In any case, I'm so glad that my friend took me to see "Black Swan" before seeing Natalie Portman accept her Oscar. What a role. What a film. See it. Even if you aren't a ballet fan, oh certain family members.

... and it doesn't matter that I haven't seen "The King's Speech" ... excuse me ... "I have a feeling my career has just peaked." ... "I'm afraid I have to warn you" ... and something about being a child phenom.... YEAH! HE WON! Hope he dances at the after parties.

The story that Tom Hooper, Director of "The King's Speech" told was a great story about his mom going to a play reading of "The King's Speech in Australia and calling him to tell him that she thought she'd found his next movie. Silly me, I want to write one of my son's movies or at least provide the story for him to base a screenplay off of. BB can knock out a script in a very short period of time if so inspired.

Picture of the Year - Best Picture - "The King's Speech."

At the beginning of tonight's broadcast, "my union crew" was thanked. I thought of the struggle in Wisconsin and around our nation. Remember, great work environments whether unionized or not, are created by the people in charge. The way they decide to run their business can make or break (pause) people.

Why have I always wanted to work in the film industry? For the times that I've seen it done right. I've had the good fortune to see it done right on a multi-million dollar set and on a no-budget theatre production. As many know, sometimes it's not about the hours or the pay, but when those hours are respected, and the human beings involved are taken care of and work just as hard as the next overcoming daily obstacles; beautiful things happen. When the pay is adequate and the working conditions are great, magic happens. When both are present, well, there's a bit of Heaven on Earth. Now just add horses and family, and you've got just one of Ron Howard's experiences.... and last time I heard him, he called, "Cut. Great job!"

So where do the lovely Topanga Days come in? Well, tonight during the Oscars, I was researching Masters Programs for Creative Writing. I'd been told that Northwestern's program was the best in the country, so I finally did a simple Google Search on "masters programs for creative writing"; Northwestern's program popped up above all the annoying clearing house sites. They've got a good Web Designer. "Topanga Days" is one working title I thought of after I read about the portfolio requirements. It's a broad themed piece all about family and friends during the 1980's in Topanga Canyon and Los Angeles. Struggling "wannabes", afternoon tea, punk high schoolers playing football in the streets, the movie industry, Dudley Moore and Kate (Capshaw) Spielberg make quick appearances, so many toddles that the likelihood that this could actually be made into a movie are slim; yet, the possibilities exist. As short as a story about Zimbabwean tea attended by a Zimbabwean, of course, an Australian, and an American and their children to as long as a story within a story about a group of "former film wannabes" brought back together again to make a movie because the money and creative freedom is too good to pass up; kinda a "That Championship Season" meets "Animal House" meets "General Hospital" on the set kinda thing stealing from Shakespeare, of course, and a bit of "Inception." Whoa. Well, at least I get that comparison as translated to creative non-fiction. I'm thinking a few friends from around the globe might get it or at least be interested, if they read this. Hmmm? LOL

Yeah, yeah. I'm giving in to my sarcasm and "negativity", or is it just facing the reality that if I don't send this post to just about everyone that I want to read this, that the right people won't read it.

I've learned a lot during this time of blogging. I've been tainted by my experiences. I've doubted family, friends and the world during this past ten months as a result of writing this thing. I've regained confidence and bolstered myself. Apparently, I've smoked two cigarettes at the same time while writing this blog. That's a new one.

So, the TV is off because BB has to get some sleep before helping GL tomorrow. I've decided that whatever homework I've got to do will go undone. I've survived another day and dreamed again.

I'm already missing them. Time to check online to relive a few Oscar speeches and see if anyone is streaming the after party stuff Live. Yes, the Oscars are my Superbowl. Every year I get inspired. It may soon die. I may not this time.

"My father always told me that I'd be a late bloomer," said David Siedler, writer of "The King's Speech" screenplay and winner of The Best Original Screenplay of 2011.

"Mom, I forgive you for saying, 'Never put anything in writing" because you said, "Just write the damn children's book already." Not only do I forgive you; you are my inspiration along with so many other fantastically strong, intelligent, and giving women that I've had the good fortune to know during my lifetime. Remembering Kaylynn's last name set me free, and I am forever in your debt. I understand why you didn't write it down. I understand so much more than I've been able to tell you like how important you were and are to me because you gave me the courage and the heart to go out into the world and meet all these amazing people and survive the bad times and guys. You and Dad were adement about giving me wings to fly, and you've survived all the worries of my flights and rejoiced in my stories. Your sense of humor is phenominal, and I'm so glad that I share it with you. I find that you have influenced my choices in female friends, particularily, more than you will ever know. You do know that when I meet someone who supports me for who I am that I am carrying you in my heart and letting it guide me whether I realize it or not. We realize many things as we get older, and I'm just grateful that I can trace the path back to you and my grandmothers for giving me what I consider one of my greatest gifts; the freedom to live my life and enjoy it. Are you surprised, Mom? Nah, I didn't think so. It's nice to hear, though, right? OK, so I've had a few glasses of wine... what? I know the truth. Gees. These women I've had a chance to meet and get to know over the years are intelligent, loving characters that you would and have enjoy meeting. I love you, Mom.

OK, so another Oscar night is almost over. The candles will stay lit all night. MeeMa will probably be hung over in the morning, but here's hoping that she isn't. The Nike "Breast Cancer Awareness" tennies are pretty darn good. My back hurts, and I don't want to go to bed. I've spent this one alone, yet productive and focused on my dreams. For one night out of each year, I am guaranteed a night of absolutely perfect dreaming. That's quite a thing in this life. Now, look at Randy Newman; sixteen times nominated before he won an Oscar, and tonight he made us laugh. Kudos to Kirk Douglas, too. Here's to all those with artistic souls. I know the lower end of the scale and haven't given up, yet. Besides, as my dad always said, "I think of the most amazing things when I'm mowing the lawn. Don't you?"

Here's to dreams whether they're had during the day or the night with your eyes wide open or shut; they're a pretty awesome part of life.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment