Thursday, November 11, 2010

Consciously Letting Go

Surviving hardship, disappointment, and pain is difficult for everyone. The following prayers have helped many.

I have always believed in a Higher Power, but I can't say that my understanding is the same as everyone else's. I guess nobody can. My definition has more to do with a perceived connection between all things. I also confess that my belief in a Higher Power is a coping mechanism. Thing is, I've been on the receiving end of so many "coincidental" answers to my concerns that I continue to believe in a Universal Connection.

While I continue to let go of my past and my children, I find comfort in many ways. One way is to read and often repeat the following AA Version of the Serenity Prayer. Another way I cope is to repeat, "The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want." I liken both experiences to repeating, "I'm OK", over and over again while going through a Haunted House.

I am letting go of my adult children. I am letting them figure out their lives. It is so difficult. I am choosing to believe that no matter what happens that it is right for me to let go and let them. My parents have done that for me. Their parents did it for them. Besides, after a while, it all just becomes too exhausting.

I'm off to finish my crocheting and homework. I've applied for work today and written one rather long post about two of my four grandpas. I've spent enough time on the computer for one day. I'm off to be creative and concentrate on sending loving energy to the world; my children included.

I have faith that my children will figure out their lives with help from other people besides me. Of course, I am available should they need my help. They know that. I know it, too.

I'm still feeling like Mr. Rogers; I am remembering my life between 25 and 28. A lot of things changed. I had help from my parents and many friends. It was very hard. I survived. I know it was very hard on my parents, too. Guess it's time I acknowledged that and followed their wonderful examples. Still - Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow. Ow. Ow. OW! Growing pains suck.

(This officially gets me caught up for November)

Enjoy the prayers!

The Full Original Copy of the Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.


Serenity Prayer
(AA Version)


God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

(Although known most widely in its abbreviated form above,
the entire prayer reads as follows:)


Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Amen.

... and if this doesn't do it for you, well there's nothing like a good, stupid comedy to help you escape for a while - or - how about a musical? Walk, Anyone? Remember ...

FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment