Friday, November 12, 2010

Sacrifice

Read an article today on the Huffington Post website about proposed changes to Medicare, Social Security, and other governmental programs that help those in need. Cuts are being proposed to these programs. At the same time measures are proposed that would continue to protect the wealthy and powerful.

When I wrote of sacrifice yesterday, I was speaking about ALL citizens sacrificing. Seems the Lower and Middle Classes know how to sacrifice. I'm asking the Upper Class to step up to the plate; or rather, away from it.

Not long ago, there was a campaign fundraiser in my area. Plates at the fundraiser sold for $30,000. The room was filled. Did I hear this correctly? It wasn't $3,000/plate, right? We have people in our country willing to pay that much money to get their candidate elected, but we can't end the Bush tax cuts and keep programs for the needy in place?

What to do? What to do?

Is it time to take to the streets? I'm sending this blog post to the White House and all my representatives, but that just doesn't seem to be enough. I need to meet an organizer and an advocate. I'm stumped.

Everywhere around me people are having a tough time of it. Personal and professional lives are in turmoil, and we keep getting the same message no matter who is in office; protect the wealthy.

Why do we protect the wealthy? Apparently, it's because the wealthy will create jobs and seem to be smarter than those who have less money.

Has Capitalism come round to be a beast of oppression? What was once thought to be an avenue to freedom and opportunity may now be the very instrument of our demise? I think of the old saying, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." We can apply the same premise to Capitalism, I guess. "Capitalism doesn't hurt people. People hurt people."

It's not just Capitalism, though. As a country we have been dumbed down, beat down and are just plain down in the dumps. Well, most of us, anyway. I know that I could be far more active in my education concerning our government and all the policies. So I'll make an effort and keep thinking. My action will be to copy this to everyone I mentioned above.

Is this our American way of life, now? Languish while the Upper Class and Politicians take care of themselves basically on our dime. It's very similar to enabling an addict, don't you think? Seems it's time to stop the vicious cycle. I'm thinking a National Twelve Step Program may be in order. Hmmmm.

OK, that's my focus for a good part of today. Any other ideas out there? Rational ideas, please ... unless they're too funny not to share. Laughter is the best medicine and all that. Besides behind every good piece of humor is a grain of truth. We might hit on something!

No comments:

Post a Comment