Saturday, November 13, 2010

One of the Best Movies Ever Made!

So I've been taking care of business and looping "How To Train Your Dragon" all day. Seriously, I've looked for work and done homework while listening and taking a break to watch bits and pieces.

I love everything about "How To Train Your Dragon." There are so many messages and lessons embedded in this gem of movie making. The animation is beautiful and dramatic. The characters are lovable and engaging. The writing is so tight. The pacing is right on. The soundtrack supports the action and emotion of each scene including the end credits with "Sticks & Stones" by Jonsi. Of course, I'm hooked on it because it's about Vikings and Dragons, too. Seriously, what's not to like? Besides, Hiccup reminds me so much of BB that it's uncanny. Astrid reminds me of SA and GL, but seeing as Hiccup and Astrid aren't brother and sister; I tend to think of SA more. That's rather uncanny, too. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Every movie hits a person in a unique way from "Yuck!" to "Brilliant!" because of many factors. If the movie happens to contain a message or messages of some sort, then hopefully the messages get through.

For me, the messages contained in "How To Train Your Dragon" have to do with being yourself, parent/child relationships, war, thriving with disabilities, love, innocence, passion, humor, learning, loyalty, diversity, adapting, teamwork, leadership, creativity, creating a new and better future, and cats. They're all there. It's truly inspiring.

Amazing what a Children's Movie can accomplish when done right. If you haven't seen "How To Train Your Dragon", yet; take some time and plop down for a couple of hours. You may not come away as enthralled as I am, but it will still be worth your while.

I long ago added "How To Train Your Dragon to my list of All-Time Favorite Movies along with "Mary Poppins", "Home For The Holidays", "Love Actually" and "The Insider." There are more on that list, but I'll leave it at that for now.

A Cinematographer I knew a long time ago once said to me, "I'm not saving the world."

"You've saved my world multiple times," I replied.

Here's to the Transformational Power of the Arts! May we all work to keep Art Education alive in our school systems and in our homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment